Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1

Apologies for the quality of these, they were quick snapshots taken with the camera mode (ie LOW resolution) with a camcorder.

They were taken by our house on Leyte, The Philippines. This one the guy is climbing the tree to harvest coconuts
Attached Images

tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:45 PM   #2

This one is a truck load of sugar cane, they were in the peak of the sugar cane harvest.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2006, 1:05 PM   #3

Agreed, the photos are not the best quality. The main problem is the sharpness and low resolution. That is understandable considering what you had to work with.

However, these pictures tell a story and they show quite well some of the farming activities in the Phillipines. This is one of the things I was hoping to see in this challenge. Every country has farms or plantations and they are all different.

I like the second photo the best. The truck loaded with cane is certainly very different from those seen in the USA including Hawaii wher sugar cane used to be big business. I am shure the method of harvesting cane in the Phillipines is much different from the way the remaining cane fields in Hawaii are harvested. In Hawaii, they set the fields on fire to burn away the leaves. The fire doesn't harm the slalks. Then they use bulldozers to push the canes into large piles. They then use front end loaders to load the cane on to trucks. I suspect that in the Phillipines, all the harvesting and loading is done manually.

The photo of the cocount harvest could be in many locations. The picture of a coconut plantation comes to mind when I look at this shot.

Thank you for participating and do come back for more.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 5:11 AM   #4

Cal is right, the story you show of farming is quite different from what we experience here.

When sugar was king in Hawaii the cane stalks were not harvested as shown above. They were as Cal described pulled roots and all from the ground and then tons of water used to wash them clean.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks so much for posting these photos! It's very interesting learning about how this type of farming is done.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And thanks to Cal and Selvin for the informative lesson...much appreciated!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 7:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the kind words!

Over there, they do burn the cane as Cal mentioned, then they cut it by hand, bundle it, and truck it to the mill
Old May 2, 2006, 5:18 PM   #7

I really like both pictures, despite their low resolution. The second one in particular, shows how much the farming process can vary from place to place.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote