Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 1, 2006, 8:58 AM   #1

While I was out looking for "Unique Oregon Farms", I spied this farmer planting one of his fields. My wife asked the question, "How did they survive all the dust before they started building enclosed cabs on tractors?" I remember my dad working the fields with an old open tractor back in the 1950s and if he used any kind of protection, it was only a bandana or handkercheif tied around his face.

If you look closely, you can almost make out three separate implements being pulled behind the tractor, a disk harrow, the planter, and a drag. The disk harrow loosens the dirt and breaks up clods. Obviously, the planter inserts the seed into the soil. The drag is used to further break up clods and smooth the ground behind the planter.

Nikon D100, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 1:08 PM   #2

You're doing awesome with this series of images Cal! Love this image...brings back memories for sure! That's gotta be dusty for sure and I, myself have seen some farmers who still drive tractors with no cab and as you say, they were bandanas over their nose and mouth. Nice dust capture in this image and the detail in thefield/dirt is awesome! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 2:28 AM   #3

Cal,

One of the reasons I rarely complain about the price of farm products is epitomized by this scene. They work hard for their money.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote