Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 2, 2006, 9:42 PM   #1

You beer drinkers out ther know what Hops are but have you ever seen how they grow. It is way too early to see how the vines grow. The concept is similar too a vinyard but more complex. The poles support a series of wires that run the length of the field. There are strings or cord that go from the base of the plant up to the wires. As the plant grows, the vines climb up the cords to the wires on top. Later in the summer, if you were to look out from this same spot, all you would see is a mass of green vines and leaves. When harvest time comes, they cut the whole vines, string and all, at the top and bottom and haul them into a processing facility. The part of the Hop plant that is used in the making of beer is the flower.

Actually, Hop farms are not unique to Oregon but there are a lot of them. They also grow Hops in California and probably other places as well.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 10:45 PM   #2

We learn something new here every day, Cal. Thanks for the lesson. Nice shot, too.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3

How interesting!! I always pictured hops as bush growing...you've enlightened me!Do you just happen to have animage of the grown vines...I'd love to see it!! If not, and if you're able to, maybe you'd bless us with one later on in the season? Great shot Cal! :G

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 12:06 PM   #4

I still have about 80 rolls of 35 mm negatives that I haven't scanned, yet out of 330. I think there may be some shots in one of those rolls. I'll take a quick look at the prints tonight and see if one contains Hop vines. Incidentally, those poles are about ten feet tall.

Cal

Old May 3, 2006, 12:15 PM   #5

Wow Cal! You actually scan negatives? If this is a scanned negative, sheesh, you've done a superb job! How do you do it? (scanner)?

My goodness, I can certainly wait for an image of the vines....that's a LOT of negatives to go through!! I'm a patient one...no worries.... :-)

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 5:02 PM   #6

It has been a long time project of mine to get all of my photos online. Over the past year, I have scanned about 40 rolls of slides and about 250 rolls of negatives!

Anyway, this picture is current and digital from my D100. It was taken last Saturday morning.

Cal

Old May 4, 2006, 1:52 AM   #7

It seems to me that beer should cost a lot more than it actually does (can you tell I'm not a beer drinker?). Setting up those wires must be a nightmare! Good picture, Cal!!!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8

:homey:MMMMMmmmmm Beeeeerrrr!!!! Not the usual farm shot at all. I guess I never really thought of how the hops are grown, so thanks Cal. I wonder if there is a company that makes the supporting cord or if they have to restring it every time.

I do have a question about your pic though, I wonder if you are doing something different, because this one and a couple of others you have recently posted are hard for me to look at. This one is too bright(not just the sky) and extremely oversharpened. Not sure if it's something you have changed or if photobucket is doing some more resizingbeyond your control, but I don't remember this being a problem in your posts up until recently. Please take this as it is intended and not like I am trying to have a dig at you!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 8:11 AM   #9

I think I probably over sharpened the shots. I normally apply the sharpen filter after resizing. Unsharp mask is too much but, in this case, apparenty sharpen is too much, also.

Thanks for the comments. I'll watch that more closely, next time.

Cal