Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 7, 2006, 6:49 AM   #1

was out this mornig and came across this was taken out of car window as was raining
Attached Images

mattobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 9:19 AM   #2

Beautiful shot. In the US we call those windmills.

You called this a wind pump which implies that it is used to pump water from a well. I am more inclined to think this is a wind generator for generating electricity. Usually, if a windmill is used for pumping, there is a shaft or rod that extends from the top down through the center of the tower to the pump at the bottom. The pump was the old hand operated type and the rod from the windmill above was somehow attached to the handle of the pump or to the shaft going down inside the pump.

In this case, none the pumping gear is present. Instead, there appears to be a generator housing attached to the windmill shaft which is typical of windmills used for generating electricity.

A comment on large image size in the forums. For people still using dialup, it might take 5-10 minutes for this image to load. We generally like to keep the image size down to under 800 pixels for the longest dimension. I generally use 700. Just something to keep in mind for next time.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 9:51 AM   #3

hi cal

thanks for the comments, i didnt stop long enough to have a good look due to the weather , but hopefully out that way in a week or two , so see if i can get a closer look at it, i think it might be for water as on this pic looks like shaft running down the center .

cheers matt
Attached Images

mattobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 2:46 PM   #4

Nice shot. As Cal said don't see too many of these any more, a pity since they do save energy.

Can't detect the pump even in your second shot. maybe it's electrically driven?

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:12 AM   #5

That first shot is awesome. I like the composition, exposure and details. The fog and empty fieldcreate a quiet, deserted atmosphere.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote