Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 9, 2006, 1:03 PM   #1

The construction of Fort Knox (Maine) began in 1844 and took twenty-five years to complete. It was built to repel a feared British invasion that never came. This is a view down the outer rifle gallery.

There are a couple more views on my blog starting at this link:

http://blog.turnorama.org/index.php?showimage=223

Turnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 2:50 PM   #2

Enthralling shot with a great back story.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:56 PM   #3

Very well done. Love the effect with the shot taken near to floor level.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 11:03 PM   #4

Beautiful shot! I really like the colors and exposure. The lines lead to some mysterious point in the dark and leaves one wondering what is hiding there.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 12:32 AM   #5

Awesome picture, Turnbill! I believe you got down on your stomach to take this shot, correct? I love those rich, dark, gloomy colors! I love it!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 5:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Okay, here's the story. I just happened to be driving past the fort and decided to take some pictures. Unfortunately when I pulled up, there was a sign stating the fort was being repaired and was closed. I decided to park outside the gate and just walk to the top of the rear parapet and take a few shots anyway. However, when I got there, I noticed the doors to the outer rifle galleries were open (spooky music here).

Unfortunately, I didn't have my tripod with me and the galleries were quite dark (and cold!) despite the bright sun outside. I took a few photos bracing myself against a wall, but the results were blurry. I then thought that putting the camera (Canon 350D) on the floor of the gallery would stabilize things and give me an interesting "mouse-eye's" view. Unfortunately, with the lens (10-22 EF-S) directly on the ground, I was seeing more floor than anything else. I wondered what I could put under the lens to prop it up. It was a warm day (outside at least) so I didn't have a jacket or sweater. I tried the lens cap, but it wasn't thick enough. Then I remembered my wallet. It's not very thick either (especially with gas prices what they are) but it tilted the lens just enough.

For a couple of other shots, I propped my wallet on it's side and set the lens on it that way. Anyway, I was pretty proud of myself and thought it was a neat trick (and my father would say "don't sprain your arm patting yourself on the back").

Turnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:33 AM   #7

What an interesting (and funny) story! It was very creative of you, to say the least. Good job, Turnbill!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 11:12 AM   #8

Turnbill,

Great improvisation.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9

That's your story and you're stickin' to it, eh? LOL...loved the story....it'sfun to know how people get their images!

Love the lighting in this image. The whole scene converges straight down the corridor to the opening at the end. I really do appreciate your low perspective when capturing this image. Good job Turnbill!! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote