Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 10, 2006, 12:52 AM   #1

Here'sa couple moretrain shots (my apologies Cal). These old carsare sitting inthe Train museum restoration shed in Carson City.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 12:53 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old May 10, 2006, 10:45 AM   #3

Tullio,

The vanishing point is out of sight in these shots but nonetheless exist. While they are good shots they don't have quite the impact I would have expected. Maybe something to do with the composition. If I put my hand on it I'll come back wiht another comment.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 11:00 AM   #4

To be honest, Selvin, I do agree with you. Although they meet the challange, they are not breathtaking by any stretch of imagination. On the contrary. They sort of "document" history in a way. Those cars were brand new way back when and now they are abandoned in a shed. Hopefully one day I'll take similar pictures after restoration takes place.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5

As Selvin said, there is a vanishing point but I'm thinking that the reason why it may be hard to see is because it really isn't the focal point of the image. I find the focal point more to the front of the train. A different angle may have shown off the vanishing point more.

These are really cool images Tullio...you're lucky to have them. These trains are going to look so awesome when they've restored them and I sure hope I'll be able to see your photos after restoration. :|

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6

Thanks, StitchBabe. I will disagree with you on this one. I think the roof, moldings, windows and bottom lines on both pictures have definitely vanishing points (beyond the actual image). Even more so on the second picture since we can see the end of the car (similar concept as posted by Cal's examples). But, that's my opinion and since I posted a photo of a 747 turbine thinking that there was a vanishing point, when in actuality there isn't, I could be wrong again!
Old May 12, 2006, 1:30 PM   #7

Hi Tullio,

Yes, I can see your point. Forgive me as your images here were one of the first photos I looked at and I didn't quite grasp the concept of the challenge as I was thinking definite lines such as the tulip rows, etc., that we've seen. Now that I have a better understanding, I can see your vanishing points clearly.

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 3:32 PM   #8

Cool,I'm glad I was not off again, StitchBabe!