Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 11, 2006, 4:22 PM   #1

Most of the time I tried to de-emphasize the vanishing point effect of the rows of tulips. I thought them distracting, but since it is the challenge.....

philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 6:50 PM   #2

I am not sure why you would want to avoid a great composition technique. I have numerous shots of tulip fields and I think the converging line and vanishing point really contribute to the shot.

I encourage you to explore this technique more. I think you will find that you have been missing some outstanding shot.

This shot seems a bit out of focus or over-saturated, I'm not sure which. On my screen, the red tulips are not sharp. With print film, red has always been a problem. I have also noted that on my Nikon D100, reds sometimes produce the same problem.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 2:51 AM   #3

Philby,

I wouldn't be apologetic about the vanishing point effects, they can be quite useful to dramatize your shots at times.

I have the same over-saturation problem as Cal, the flowers appear almost out of fcous because of the oversaturation.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 12:30 PM   #4

Well, after seeing so many fine examples of vanishing points during this challenge, I would certainly say it's an asset adding more impact to a shot. They help to lead your eye to another part of the image so it could be quite useful in many circumstances.

The tulip rows show off a nice vanishing point.

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 5:44 PM   #5

Hi Philby, haven't seen posts from you in a while. I love the color contrastof this picture and the definite vanishing point. But I must say something does not look quite right with the flowers. It almost look like you've played with them in PS. They allkinda blur together with very little definition. Was it intentional? I find red flowers to be extremely difficult to photograph because for some odd reason, they over exposed and loose details very easily. I asked a friend once what he thought would over expose more easily, a white or a red flower? The answer was WHITE simply because it absorbs so much more light but in reality, when it comes to flowers, the red is worse.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 6:25 PM   #6

The only way I have gotten good results shooting red flowers is shooting Fuji Velvia slide film. There is no color print film that will do it and apparently many digital cameras also have a problem. Maybe it is just the nature of red light, whatever that means!

Cal
Old May 12, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. Thanks, Cal!
Old May 13, 2006, 2:31 PM   #8

For the record I shoot in raw mode, it is extremely rare that I don't do some kind of post processing, however, unless it is obvious otherwise I try to make a true representation or impression ( there can be a difference) of what I experienced visually. That said most of the red shots I took that day had that soft and heavily saturated characteristic. Perhaps with some help we can solve the riddle as to why. Darkening the red helped a little. There were several conditions that may have contributed to the softness of the photo. The red was very intense the flowers were partially backlit and glowed. There was a strong wind that was blowing, the flowers were moving. I suspect the main culprit could be lens diffusion. I was going for the greatest depth of field, perhaps the lens was stopped down a little too far. Could it be that intense red will diffuse in the lens sooner then other colors?

Canon 300d 1/160 f13 ISO 200 Tamron 28-300 @ 59mm

Any insight will be appreciated.
Thank you, Philby
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 2:13 AM   #9

I don't have a technical answer to the problem but most shots I've taken of red flowers (w/ or w/o macro)are some what over exposed. Actually, they are not necessarily over exposed. They simply loose detail and everything becomes one big red blur. However, this problem is not present on every photo of red subjects. As long as the subject is not three dimensional, it's OK (e.g. red boat or people wearing red shirts, etc.). But, if you try to photograph a red rose, the petals will look a mess.
Old May 14, 2006, 9:28 AM   #10

I have a possible theory. The problem with print films is that the red-sensitive layer in the film "sandwich" is the least sensitive layer in the film. Film manufacturers have been struggling with this for years and still haven't found a solution.

Perhaps the problem is similar in the sensors in our digital cameras. The parts of the sensor that are sensitive to different colors of light (red, blue, green) are made from different materials with different physical characteristics. Perhaps the red-sensitive elements are not as sensitive as the blue and green, thus reducing the detail in areas with a lot of red.

It is just a theory but it is the most plausible explanation I can come up with.

Cal