Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 12, 2006, 1:50 PM   #1

I'm not sure if this shot qualifies as I think the perspective effect is more caused by an exaggerated wide angle, and not so much by the picture itself, however the lines are visible. Comments?

I really suffered alot to get this picutre decent, I'm not yet 100% sure about the effect that's caused from taking such a photo from so close. Do you like it?

Attached Images

schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 3:53 PM   #2

I'm not the moderator but here's my 2c. I think it's a nice picture (although I do not like the framing). I believe if it wasn't for the type of lens used, you would not have any vanishing point but parallel lines instead. To me, it's very border line. On a more personal note, I'd love to see it without the oval frame.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 5:23 PM   #3

In fact it's a stiched image, so some info of the edges is not available. I'll try to post a version without a frame on Monday.

Regards
Old May 12, 2006, 5:29 PM   #4

Cool! I'm looking forward to it!
Old May 13, 2006, 4:42 AM   #5

Yes, I agree with Tullio, the vanishing point is somewhat artificially contrived by the wide angle lens. Although there was no specific restriction on this matter.

Also have to agree with Tullio, the oval frame doesn't quite do it for me. I know old photos of travels used the oval frames quite extensively soI tend to associate oval frames with old travel photos of my family.

Enuff rambling. look forward to your next shot.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 1:11 PM   #6

Well, here's the picture as promised:

I really used the oval frame because I would have needed to make more artificial editing, but I really like rectangular pictures better.
Old May 15, 2006, 2:02 PM   #7

schmeidel,

Just curious, was this a stitched pano?

Yes with the unveiling of the photo the vanishing point does seem much less contrived.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 3:49 PM   #8

The distortion produced by the wide angle is quite severe (if youhadn't stated that a WA was used, I would have guessed you used a fish-eye instead). However, I can see there is no way you'd be able to capture the entire church with a regular 36mm lens fromsuch a short distance. Although I appreciate your efforts in postingthe second version, I must admit I like the first one better (even with the oval-shaped frame). I think it's because there is less evidence of barrel distortion and the church is bigger (due to cropping) showing more details. Cheers!
Old May 16, 2006, 9:10 AM   #9

Yes,

It's a stitched panorama, and I had a real hard time taking these pictures and stitching them together with the people there. The problem of that place is that the front of the church is really a small area, and there's a stairway to access it, so I was as far away as I could without falling down and I used the camera with a 35mm eq. zoom. I didn't have my 0.7x teleconverter with me that day, but even that would have caused some distortion and it wouldn't have been enough to get the whole church with one shot. The converging lines are an exaggerated perspective effect caused by the proximity to the church.

I found this really good alternative to my image (I really like the composition of this shot), however, my idea was to catch the whole church.

Attached Images

Old May 16, 2006, 10:52 AM   #10

I really like this last shot. The wall frames the picture nicely and the big cross on the leftadds interest.I'd try one more shot from behind the wall butfrom a bit higher angleso we can see more of the church.