Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 13, 2006, 1:04 AM   #1

Downtown San Mateo. I hadn't noticed the large number of vanishing points this photo had until this challenge was introduced.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 5:01 AM   #2

There's been a Main Street in every town I've visited. No reason not to have one in San Mateo.

I know we've been thru this before about the vanishing point being obscured by people or other objects. Yes it's there....

Nice travelogue photo.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 9:04 AM   #3

I have to disagree with Selvin. The vanishing point doesn't have to be visible. It doesn't even have to be in the picture. It can be outside the frame. In most cases the vanishing point is implied by the converging lines in the picture. In this photo, the vanishing point is not "visible" but there are many lines pointing to it

There was another photo posted a couple days ago with a twisting railroad track and two people walking on the track. In that case, the lines of the track in the background were hidden by the people and since the curvature of the track behind the people could not be seen, the vanishing point was lost.

That is not the case, here.

I like this photo. I have been to San Mateo many times when I was younger and don't remember a Main Street or a traditional "downtown" area. The last time I was near there, we headed south from San Francisco but diverted over to the coastal highway, 101, I think.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks both Selvin and Cal for your comments. Cal's explanation of the vanishing point goes along with my understanding of the subject. I think the swimming pool photo that was posted either yesterday or day before was a good example (emphasized by Cal's drawing lines). As for the Main Street, this "isle" is somewhat new. It's part of the efforts tobeautify the downtown area of San Mateo. Your memory is quite accurate, Cal. Until very recently, downtown San Mateo was nothing but a grid of busy, commercialstreets. Now there are colorful buildings everywhere. Here's another example, cropped to remove distracting vehicle (also with imaginary vanishing points from the building roof and molding lines):
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2006, 2:44 PM   #5

These images are really cool Tullio! The colors really pop and offer a lot of cheeriness...looks like a fun place to visit!

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 3:18 PM   #6

Thanks, StitchBabe. It is a nice place to visit, do a quick walk around followed by an exotic lunch at a good Malaysian Restaurant.