Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 13, 2006, 4:02 AM   #1

Hi guys,

As a newbie to both this forum and with a brand new e-300 here are a couple of shots I took for the challenge - my exposure setting are not the best as the sun was playing havoc with the shots...

I like the first one which in my opinion has quite a few including the shadows of the handrail???

Attached Images

staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 4:03 AM   #2

and another
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2006, 4:04 AM   #3

one more
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2006, 5:07 AM   #4

That's about as good as you can get. Welcome to our forum. A great start and hope we'll be seeing more of you.

The first shot looks so interesting with what appears to be a person at the very end of the pier.

Your third shot is certainly an unconventional view of the pier.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 8:41 AM   #5

I like all three shots. There is no question that they meet the challenge. The composition and colors are great.

The first shot could benefit from a split neutral density filter. This is a filter in which one half is clear glass and the other half is transparent gray. The filter can be rotated for optimal effect. If it is a Cokin rectangular filter it can slide up and down, also. Positioning the dark portion of the filter to the upper right and aligning the transition point (dividing line between clear and ND) with the pier would conpensate for the bright glare of the sun. Another minor problem with the first shot is in the upper left corner. There is something there that looks like it doesn't belong, perhaps the edge of a finger.

You have some sun glare in the third shot. This is a reflection of the sun on internal elements of the lens. The simple solution to this is to use a sun shade or to shade the lens with your hand, a trick I use quite often. Use caution with the hand as it is easy to get a finger or edge of the hand in the picture.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 4:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments guys - the first photo could be a finger as it was the only shot that I didn't crop to try and minimise the glare in the shot - now that this has been pointed out to me I will check my other photos to see if I have been developing this bad habit in others :roll:

I amplanning on buying a set of filters in the future then I guess it will be a different learing curve into how why and when to use them - thanks again for the kind comments
Old May 15, 2006, 2:35 PM   #7

These are GREAT for this week's challenge! Good for you!

WELCOME to the forum....hope to see much more of you and your images!! :-)

~~StitchBabe~~
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 12:10 AM   #8

Welcome, staffy. I like all three but the third captured my attention because of the angle you took the picture from, as selvin hadpointed out. Three out of three...certainly a good start.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote