Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 16, 2006, 10:33 PM   #1

Taken from across the lake outside Ameriquest Field in Arlington, Texas.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 10:59 PM   #2

Walter, I take back everything negative I've said about some of your shots. This photo is outstanding. Talk about a twist on the challenge, I think you have just won the prize for originality.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 11:21 PM   #3

This is a great shot Walter, and I don't mean to follow Cal around and disagree, honestly, but while the lines formed by the suns raysappear to beconverging, that's because they actually are. The originate from a single point and are not parrallel. None of that takes anything away from how nice of a shot this is though.

edit: Unless you are talking about the rays and the reflection of the rays. Then I'll just go back to my corner and shutup!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 11:37 PM   #4

Gocubs, You are absolutely right, I was so impressed with the photo, I guess I wanted the sun rays to be converging lines. But they are not for the reasons you mentioned.

Now, do you want to stop following me around? Just kidding! You are welcome to follow me around all you want. A famous person once said "if two partners in a business always agree on everything, one of them is not necessary" I think that applies here.

Walter. although this shot technically does not qualify for the challenge, I still hold with my statement that it is one of the better photos you have posted.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 2:51 AM   #5

I guess I better cast my vote here. The shot is quite good as mentioned before. It's not common to see a burst of the sun rays captured so well.

But unfortunately, the vanishing point is not there.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 1:28 PM   #6

Outstanding picture, Walter. Great PP work too. As for the vanishing point, I'm so confused by now that I can not tell whether they are there or not. IMO, there is some inconsistencies in the analysis of what is considered "vanishing points", reason why I'm so confused.

Cal, I was not familiar with the quote you mentioned here. Love it!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 2:39 PM   #7

Tullio,

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

For a vanishing point to occur, the lines must in the real world start out to be orginally parallel then, because our eyes try to make 2-dimensional sense of a real 3-dimensional world, they appear to converge in the distance.

Thus, in the case of the burst of sun's rays, they do not start out parallel, they start fromthe orb of the sun. Note they spread out from the sun. True if you look at them in reverse they converge towards the sun. BUT they do not start out parallel which is an important asset of the vanishing point. The lines must start out being parallel in reality.

Convergence alone is not sufficient for a vanishing point because some things actually start out non parallel and then they really converge in the distance. In the vanishing point they appear to converge and actually never meet in the distance.

Think about the railroad tracks, they start out parallel but look like they meet somewhere out there.

Aloha

Old May 17, 2006, 3:55 PM   #8

PMFBI, but this is just bad science. The sun is not a point source -- it is much larger than the earth. The rays may or may not be parallel, but by any human measure, they are at least as parallel as, e.g., the sides of a bridge.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 4:12 PM   #9

Tclune,

I knew we were going to get into that somehow, my apologies, yes the sun's rays by the time they reach the earth are for all practical purposes parallel.

I stand corrected Iwas basing the point on the observation of the sun's rays as seen in the photo where it appears converging at a point in the center of the sun.

Aloha
Old May 17, 2006, 5:58 PM   #10

Thanks for the explanation, Selvin. However, you guys just made my point. The technicalities of the challenge can be overwhelming. The following picture was taken this morning as I was coming to work (I'm posting it simply to illustrate my point). So, technically, it seems like it meets the challenge for the lines start out parallel to each other but due to the angle of view they will create a vanishing point somewhere out there. However, this concept can be largely stretched. We can pickup just about any two parallel lines (no matter how small they really are)and unless they are capturedfrom an absolute 90 degree angle, there will always be a vanishing point somewhere in the infinite.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote