Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 17, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1

I always found chicken-wire fencesto be great landscape spoilers. I can't keep track of how many nice landscape shots I've taken that were wasted because of one of these fences being somewhere in the frame. However, this time around they happen to be the main subject!
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 10:17 PM   #2

I think perhaps the fence is better as an annoyance than as a subject of a photo. This was probably a much better photo before it was resized for the forum. The jpeg compression has cause significant loss of detail in the fence fabric, especially in the second panel and beyond. There also seem to be interference (moire) patterns in the second panel.

I don't see any vanishing point in this photo.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 1:06 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments, Cal. The problem here is that I had to significantly"fill light" in order to show the entire fence and that threw the colors off. I did not compress this image any more thanother photos I've posted. I thinkthe lack of detail was a combinationbetween the angle and the mesh itself.Perhaps I should have done it in B&W to minimize the problem.

The vanishing point I thought had been formed by the fence itself, since the top and bottom are parallel lines disappearing down the hill (by the tree). Oh well, like I mentioned on oneothertopic, I sometimes have a hard time making such a determination.
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2006, 4:23 AM   #4

Tullio,

In this case I think the color shot has a slight edge over the BW. The vanishing point is not that well developed and the trees a bit further down the right side obscure it quite a bit. While from a technical standpoint there is a vanishing point it's effect is almost totally obscured by the trees.

I agree with Cal that the shot doesn't have much pizazz in part due to the interference of the fence moire pattern.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 3:20 PM   #5

Tullio

I'm wondering how long you've been incarcerated and when you'll be released. :-)

I know what you are saying about the annoyance of fences, etc. Maybe if Cal and Selvin will extend this challenge long enough we can all rush down to the Mexican border and takepictures of the Homeland Security wall they are going to build. That is, if all thoseNational Guard troops will let us approach.

Wonder who'll be willing to work in 110 degree heat to build the wall.

And what will theybe doing about the tunnels that are sure to follow.

Sorry (slap to the side of the head). Just musing.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:13 PM   #6

Hi Walter,

Incarcerated with PC access?? Only Martha Stuart has such a privilege!:lol:

As for the border issue, let's not go there, shall we?IMO, this whole thing is a big, huge circus! The tunnels are already there (built with technology imported from Afghanistan)!
Old May 18, 2006, 5:17 PM   #7

Thanks for your comments, Selvin. This is what I like the most about Steve's forums...to receive people's comments, critiques and suggestions. It helps mebe more selective about my photographic work, use different techniques, learnwhat works and what doesn't. I love it!