Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:22 PM   #1

Thought I would drop this in the mix and see what you think.

Bill

Last edited by Curmudgeon; Jul 22, 2012 at 2:29 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2

Reflections and some subtle shadows in the pool. A great shot but a little dark.

I know that spot. I have shot the same picture on film. For those who don't know, that is at Hearst Castle in San Simeon, CA.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:33 PM   #3

To lighten the exposure would blow out the columns of the structure on the far side of the pool.

Bill
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:01 AM   #4

If you've been around here long, you have probably seen me advocate the use of a split neutral density filter. In this case, a split nd2 filter with the dark half rotated to the top would really bring out the color and detail of the pool without blowing the the marble structure behind. The dark half of the nd2 reduces the light by one f-stop while the clear portion does nothing.

You can achieve a similar effect by selecting the lower part of the photo in PS or PSP and lightening it a bit. It might take some experimenting to get it right but the results are worth the effort.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:44 AM   #5

Well balanced composition and very nicely captured. Yes, I see the subtle shadows along with the many reflections. It's possible to correct the lighting as Cal noted although I would personally prrefer using the digital method rather than dragging around a filter.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:02 AM   #6

Cal and Selvin,

I use split filters on a regular basis in my photography. However, in this instance the photo is properly exposed to represent the scene. Yes, an ND2 would darken the sky and the structure. However, it would most likely result in the reflection of the structure being slightly over exposed and the palm tree tops being under exposed. The pool is almost entirely in shade except for the very closest part to the point the photo was taken.

Cal, as you know, this photo would have been taken on a tour as part of a group that moved into and out of buildings. We don't always have the time or right to stop a tour to change filters. Ah, but one day maybe us photogs will rule. *S*

A side note about Photoshop. I think, we as individuals attempting to improve on the craft of photography should concentrate on taking a great photograph with the camera and not making a great photograph with a computer. Are we trying to improve our photographic skills or are we trying to improve our computer manipulation skills? I know, I know it sounds kind of purist. I think applying corrections to a photo as a whole is ok. However, when one starts to selectively choose and change portions of the photo then where does it stop.

I do believe in correcting technology failures such as "hot" pixels with a computer but it drives me crazy to do it.

Respectfully,

Bill