Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:32 AM   #1

A mixture between blue and brown... hope it works.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:55 AM   #2

Jane,

The blue of the water is very difficult to see on my monitor nonetheless it does pass muster.

Not a spectacular shot by any means mainly because I think it does not have a good focus to draw the viewer in. Perhaps because the underside shadows are a tad too dark. Just an opinion.

Aloha and thanks for dropping by.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:41 AM   #3

I'm not exactlly sure what you mean, Selvin.

"it does not have a good focus to draw the viewer in"

Ok... maybe I'm seeing things. I thought that the purpose (subject) of the picture was clear. I was after the geometry. The lines of the shadow matched the perspective beautifully but maybe I'm just ... off.

Here, is it just as bad like this? I've been working with black and white for months now and it seems like the only thing I pay attention to anymore is contrast... maybe I'm just loopy.

Just a thought... is there too much sand? Would that narrow down the subject? Do you think there might be too much emptiness in the bottom of the picture?

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4

Plain Jane,

Maybe my monitor is off , but are there supposed to by pilings on the left visible? -- could be my monitor or my fading eyes at midnight.

These would compliment the ones on the right and give a very distinctive geometric effect. With only the right ones visible, the whole thing looks a bit odd. Because of the heavy shadows showing on my screen I don't see very much detail unless I look at the lit portions of the scene. Much of the area on the left and lower portion looks like a silhouette on my screen.

If there are pilings clearly visible on the left and graeter details in the the foreground, I owe you an apology.

Aloha
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:52 PM   #5

Yes, there are visible columns on the left.

It's ok Selvin... it maybe my monitor as well... I have a new 20 inch true bright and it looks much the same as it does on photo pro paper to me. The shadows are dark but the detail, especially in the full size version is amazing. I was actually shocked when I opened it up in raw and it looked almost printable as is. I think the detail maybe disappearing in some odd waywhen I size down too. It's like it makes the picture too sharp ... like there is too much detail in one spot in the smaller versions. I can always print out and mail it to you. :lol:
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the heads up. Mu monitor is a 17 inch LCD about 4 years old. Maybe time to start thinking about a new monitor.

Aloha