Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1

We had red tide recently at our local beach. I took a few pics just to document the phenomenon. I didn't get anything very stunning out of the shoot but thought this fit the catagory pretty well. The otherwise pleasing blues are distanced from the view by the unwelcome red in the foreground. Anyway, it's my first pic posted, so be gentle.

Taken with Rebel XT, EF 28-135 IS @ 28mm, 1/3200, f/7.1

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Attached Images

Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2

Wow, what causes that?
tigerwings1st
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:40 PM   #3

It's a toxic algea bloom, caused by I don't know what. It only lasted one day but the shellfish from the beach will be too toxic to eat for quite a while.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:51 PM   #4

Yikes,

Your photo triggersa remembrance of one of the Bibllical plagues being the water turning into blood and my teacher way back then remarking this may have been one of the natural phenomenon explaining this.

So that what they menat by. Thanks for the information a and confirming shot.

Blue's there albeit subdued.

Aloha and welcome

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:46 AM   #5

Very interesting (and sad, really). Good shot but you could have made it a bit bigger seo we could see more of the contrast on the water. I noticed the EXIF shows shutter speed of 1/3200 with an aperture of f/7.1. What a strange combination. was the amount of light that great?I assume you took the picture in Tv mode (or full manual)and set thecamera to 1/3200? Any particular reason you chose such a high speed? I think you couldhave added a lot more detail (specially in the background)should you have used a slower speed.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:20 AM   #6

Nice shot of something not often seen.

Tulio, this was shot in Aperture Priority, but was also set on ISO 1600, which is why the camera chose such a high shutter speed. Skuzzlebutt, I'm not sure of your experience level, but I would always try to shoot with the lowest ISO possible as this should result in the least grainy/noisey image. The higher the ISO value the more sensitive to light your camera is(like high speed film)allowing higher shutter speeds(SS), meaning you can gain higher SS in low light by raising ISO. If my math is correct, you could have achieved the same exposure by using the same apertureof F7.1, ISO 200(instead of 1600) and a SS of 1/400. The lower ISO should get you a less grainy image and wouldn't have resulted in needlessly high SS. If you already knew all this, just pretend I'm talking to myself in the corner.:?
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:10 AM   #7

I havelots of experience with SLRs, but I am new to the digital world. Being able to change the ISO is just one of the nuances I need to pay more attention to. I do normally have it between 100 & 400.