Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

Here is a shot of a blue playball in a tree. Shot yesterday in a local schoolyard.

Nikon D100, Sigma 28-70mm lens. 1/180 sec, f7.1, ISO200, Focal length 70mm

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:57 PM   #2

Nice subdued colors and well controlled exposure. A familiar sight in my youth as we often would kick or hit balls to inaccessible spots.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:46 PM   #3

Calr,

That ball looks so comfortable up there. The blue ball really looks very good nestled up against the green leaves.

Nice touch.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 6:40 PM   #4

Cal,

Although there is blue in the picture it's not very interesting, not to mention creative.

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:11 PM   #5

Jeff,
It has always been our policy here to be honest with each other in our critiques. Critiques don't always have to be positive, and sometimes aren't. However, posting a negative opinion without supporting, constructive information, is not good for anyone. Two people who have been around here a lot longer than you have have given positive responses to this photo. You give a very negative opinion without stating what you think is wrong. I find that unacceptable.

Please restate your opinion in the form of a constructive critique. I would like to know exactly what you think is wrong with this photo.

As for anyone reading this, negative comments are fine if backed up with constructive comments. I don't always give a good review of a photo. There are some that I have not liked at all. As a moderator, I try to respond to all photos posted. If I don't like a photo, I will say so, but I also try to explain why I don't like it. The photo may be technically excellent but I don't like the subject. On the other hand, the photo may be a technical disaster, but the subject may be very pleasing. This whole business is very subjective. If you have ever repeatedly entered photos in a competition where the judges are different each time, you know what I mean.

Cal

Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:01 AM   #6

Cal,

I meant no disrespect.

In my line of work "Standards Assessor" I have been trained to write without emotion, only the facts. It is my goal to be fair and accurate in my assessment or critique. In this venue my style of writing may not be politely correct or diplomatic.

With hindsight there may have been some emotion involve with my critique of your image. I have posted several time in this forum in the past and received constructive criticism. I did not necessarily have to like it, although it made me think about my subject matter and how to make it better. The images I posted may have had the elements required for the photo challenge, although they lacked inspiration and/or great interest. Through your constructive criticism I hope to someday acquire not only the elements required of the challenge but an image that is engaging and thought provoking.

As far as the technical aspect of any image, I am not in a position to form an opinion, that is why I value your opinion and I post my images here in the first place. I hope to someday have the keen eye you have. Only time will tell, it's a work in progress.

Back to you image IMO: There is great detail on the bark of the tree and wonderful shadows on the ball. Great composition provided by the vertical lines from the tree. Nice contrast in colors. Image is very sharp and crisp.

After thoughts: Once again you have shown be my shortcomings. Another lesson learned. Take the time to look "into" an image opposed to looking "at" an image. I apologize for learning this lesson at your expense.

Respectively,

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:49 PM   #7

I agree with Walter's comments. The colors a very natural and nicely saturated. Would you mind adding some EXIF data (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.)? I find it very helpful to know the camera settings.

Jeff, your second comments
Quote:
("There is great detail on the bark of the tree and wonderful shadows on the ball. Great composition provided by the vertical lines from the tree. Nice contrast in colors. Image is very sharp and crisp.")
sound much worse than the first. The first was sincere, the second, sarcastic.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:13 AM   #8

EXIF data added.

Cal

Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:26 PM   #9

Thanks, Cal.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:16 PM   #10

I kicked my ball up in a tree

A squirrel crawled down for a look-see

He kicked it back down to the ground

So hard it is no longer round

I hate that squirrel, Oh yes I do

Alas, what am I now to do

I kick my ball, it don't roll strait

I'll get that squirrel, Oh you just wait!

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote