Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

A self portrait of mine when actually in blue.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:13 PM   #2

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
A self portrait of mine when actually in blue.
Wow, Bahadir, I never expected to meet you so close.... (or see you so "blue"!!!) But it's a GREAT photo, very interesting photo and with the interesting expression... I think it's almost "scarey"...

But we all know from your posts that you're actually a very nice guy and very much a gentleman!

When did you make this photo? Thanks for sharing...

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:09 PM   #3

Oh, Paul I hope you are just joking :-)I would only feel ashamed if I posted sth. I find or appears to be scary. Anyway, sorry if it really turned out to be so! Maybe it is my right eye due to remaining in shade which looks scary. But then, just look at the illuminated one in which you will read a feeling of 100% moody..
As with that expression, it was shot in October and was honestly intended. They say I often and efficiently use my facial expressions. If that's true, I would hardly reveal any other expression then. Just be sure it was nothing to do with the grief of a lost love or sth:lol:
With this occasion I'd like to thank for your kind and enlivening interest yet again.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:55 AM   #4

Bahadir,

It's amazing how colors drive our emotions so much. The blue cast to your photo gives you a sinister look. Yes, the shadow in your right eye adds to that effect.

Picasso drew on this cultural effect to heighten the effect of his "Blue Period" works.

Aloha and thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:23 AM   #5

An interesting photo, but how was it created? If this was done with lighting and/or white balance, I will accept that. If it was done by converting to BW and then colorizing, in my opinion, it doesn't qualify. I don't like to see photomanipulation in the post processing. I like to see what came out of the camera.

You do look rather menacing in this shot!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:26 AM   #6

The blue cast does give it a somewhat disturbing character. And your head is slightly inclined forward, so you look out at us from under your eyebrows. That makes the expression all the more intense.

I really like it. Good shots should produce an emotion, and this one surely does.

The fact that it's the likeable and intellectual Bahadir, who now appears to be slightly sinister, makes the effect more profound.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:49 PM   #7

selvin wrote:
Quote:
..The blue cast to your photo gives you a sinister look. Yes, the shadow in your right eye adds to that effect.

Picasso drew on this cultural effect to heighten the effect of his "Blue Period" works.
καί σύ Selvin; Then fall Bahadır!

At least you're kind enough to relate the matter with the Blue Period of Picasso. Thank you

.................................................. .....

Cal, thank youfor your considerations.

Of course I wouldn't paint an irrelevant image into blue just to have it qualified.I think this photo relies more on Blue feelings rather than Blue colour, described in Weekly Photo Challenge post , or at least , this is the reason I posted this photo. So, I could also have posted it without even bothering to convert the colours into blue or in B&W.

About appearing menacing,I'd request you toreconsider the general inward, absorbingquality of blue, present also in melancholy orconcentration of thoughtfulsadnesswhich tends to be self destructive rather than threatening,and trylooking again, please

Thank you for your appreciation, Barbarian. I'm glad this shot made sense to you. Your thoughtful comparison''The fact that it's the likeable and intellectual Bahadir, who now appears to be slightly sinister, makes the effect more profound''reminds me thetheme of Dr.Jeykl and Mr.Hyde.Well Ithink I know this guy quite well ! You can'tbe sure aboutwhat he'll do. But you canabsolutely becertainabout what he won't..:-)

Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:44 PM   #8

Can't spot a blue object to photograph?...You create one! I like your thinking! Self expressioncan be a funny thing. Here's a quick story. A co-worker goes on vacation. Another co-worker decides to take pictures of every one in a group but we all had tomake a "mad" face. He then printed the pictures, xerox them and cover the guy'sentire cubicle with them. Now, the interesting thing is, each one's idea of making a"mad" face was different. While some appearedto be real angry, others looked simply serious (not mad), or intense (again, not reallymad) or even had a slight smile on their faces (definitely NOT mad). So, sometimes the way we think we are expressing ourselves, is not quite the way others see our expression.

Now, analyzing your photo, I'd say should you not have made it blue, chances are that people would think "sad" (the feeling)rather than "blue" (the color). Because theblue face was so striking,the sadness was overshadowed.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:42 AM   #9

Hi Tullio! Ah, these emotions...I even consider them as proto-thoughts. Without first filling your sails full of them, it is almost impossible to sit and drop a few stanzas. Then through patience,imagination and true knowledge they are distilled into refined and inspiring ideas.
As with the anectode you conveyed, there's much truth in it. After all, no one can be the absolute possessor of a certain feeling. In a manner of speaking we're all tenants! Nevertheless, I'd suggest that officious co-worker to shoot his friends only when they were really mad rather than asking them to pose with mad faces :blah:
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:24 PM   #10

All in fun, Bahadir; it's justsurprising to see you in a shot that makes you look a little dangerous.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote