Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:28 PM   #1

I could not resist. Since it was Flag Day here in the U.S.A. I figured we needed a little Union Blue to brighten up the forum.
Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:01 AM   #2

Fofa,

Patriotic blue is welcome. Thanks for sharing.

From the Betsy Ross Page:

What do the red white and blue represent?

The Continental Congress left no record to show why it chose the colors. However, in 1782, the Congress of the Confederation chose these same colors for the Great Seal of the United States and listed their meaning as follows: white to mean purity and innocence, red for valor and hardiness, and blue for vigilance, perseverance, and justice. According to legend, George Washington interpreted the elements of the flag this way: the stars were taken from the sky, the red from the British colors, and the white stripes signified the secession from the home country. However, there is no official designation or meaning for the colors of the flag.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:18 AM   #3

I know it would be cheating, but I would mirror this image in ps or psp to get the flag oriented properly in the photo. That's just a little pet peave of mine. I know it is not always possible to photograph a flag in the proper orientation with the blue in the upper left corner.

Orientation aside, this is a great photo. It makes me want to stand up and salute!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:48 PM   #4

Good shot! Can you add the EXIF data? Thanks.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:58 PM   #5

Tulio, I don't know if you knew this or not but in most cases you can right click on a posted image and save it to your hard disk. Then you can either load it into your photo editor to view the EXIF data or you can use a program like Exifer to report the EXIF data. Most posted jpg photos contain EXIF data.

Cal

Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:52 AM   #6

Cal, yes I know that. What I liked about Selvin's suggestion to post some of the EXIF data is the fact thatwe don't have to go through this exercise of saving the pictureon the PC, load it into a photo editor, etc. etc. etc., and then, delete it!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:08 AM   #7

You are right. It is easier to understand the technical aspects of a photo if the exposure information is included. I just didn't know if you the most photos posted on the web contain EXIF info. Carry on...

Cal

Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8

Tullio: Here is the EXIF data, one thing to remember is I cropped and resized in PE4.

Cal: I considered reversing the image, but then the words in the tiny bit of sign off to the left, would have been reversed, and it would be obviouse what I did. I could have shot the flag from the other side, but the background would have contained a house. So concider that a flying flag can appear in many different aspects, and all are considered "correct", I decided to leave it.

The next challenge I will be out of pocket, so yall' won't have me to kick around :G
My family and I are taking an Alaskian cruise, and spending a few days after in Vancover. So hopefully I will have some pic's that will apply to upcoming challenges!
Can't wait for the Totem Pole challenge :lol:

Thanks All.
Attached Images

Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:11 PM   #9

Are you going on Norwegian Cruise Lines? They have several ships doing the Alaska circuit. The scenery is beautiful if the weather cooperates. When my wife and did an Alaska cruise about five years ago, it wasn't cold (about 60-65 degrees) but it poured rain every day we were there. If you get a chance, be sure to go on the White Pass Railroad trip out of Skagway.

Cal

Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:32 PM   #10

Carnivel (sp) actually. My parents (in their mid 70's) invited us (and my 2 brothers, who are not going) along. They figured it is one last fling for them as they are not getting around like they used too. My wife having MS, and limited to her scooter/walker has hemm and hawwed about that train trip because of her moblity issues, and now it is too late to sign up for it online, so she wants to go now, but we will have to wait until we get to the boat. We leave Anchorage, and end in Vancover. We are going to spend a few days in Vancover before returning to Texas. The weather I assume is like anywhere, can be good, can be bad. Maybe we will be lucky and have good. I think the 18 hours of daylight is going to be a bigger factor!