Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:10 PM   #11

I like the effect of the water on the reflection and I agree, you've got one calm Bay. Most of the time, the wind blowing in from the Pacific is so strong that you can't hardly hold the camera still.

Most DSLRs handle high ISO real well because of the sensor size and typethey use. Th S2 is not too bad at ISO 200 (pretty decent actually). But at ISO 400, any dark spot will look noisy. In bright daylight you can use ISO 400 but if youcrop the image, the noise will be noticeable. The Sony H1 handles noise pretty darn good but the Panasonic FZ20 on the other hand, is horrible. So itdepends on the camera.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:23 AM   #12

Since there are only a limited number of CCD sensor manufacturers, what's been happening is that quite a few cameras from different manufacturers are using the same sensor so they all suffer from the same fatal flaw sometimes. e.g. about half a dozen manufacturers used the same sensor a 8MP made by Kodak (Minolta, Nikon, and Sony, etc used it in their 8MP advanced point and shoot cameras.)

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:58 PM   #13

having both the FZ20 and a Canon 30D, i've seen the extremes of noise. the FZ20 is okay at ISO 80-100, but even then it benefits from some NR software. at ISO 200 or above, it's very noisy, even in bright light. i've never used ISO 400 with it, and only rarely used 200... i leave the camera in "auto" mode, and it almost invariably selects 80 or 100, even in dim light. in spite of the noise, i have gotten some stunning shots with the FZ20, and it's still a very good camera for a lot of things, if you don't mind spending a little time with Neat Image.

the Canon, on the other hand, is far less noisy, even at ISO 800 (haven't had to try 1600 yet, but the 30D offers intermediate steps in 1/3 increments, so i don't have to settle for each setting being double the one below it...) still, even the Canon can produce some noticeable noise if the image is underexposed. it's not nearly as bad as the FZ20, but then, that's to be expected -the 30D's sensorhas something like 17 times the surface area, and only 3 more MP to populate it with! the point is, any digital camera will produce some noise, it's just a matter of how much, how you handle it (in-camera reduction or PP), and how objectionable it is when you print the image...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:58 PM   #14

Squirl

Yes, if there's on feature of the 20D that I have appreciated (and benefited from) repeatedly it's the low noise at 800 and even 1600. After numerous P&S cameras and a 300D, it's a real blessing.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:08 AM   #15

I'm glad to read that you agree about the FZ20 being noisy, squirl. I've noticed thatfrom day one. However, my experience with the camera choosing ISO while in AUTO mode has been quite different. Just about every shot I take at dawn the camera selects ISO 200 and if I force it to 80 or 100, then I can almost guarantee that the image will be blurryindicating that the IS system is very poor compared to the Sony H1 or even the Canon S2. I wonder if that was one of the reasons why Panasonic discontinued the use of the FZ20 lens.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote