Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:01 PM   #1

Hi all,

New Olympus E-500 owner of one week ( and first time DSLR user) submitting to the challenge for the first time. What a great idea the challenge is.

The figures are part of a meditation style candle holder of my wife's. Looked like a beautiful morning in the garden for them. Hope this qualifies as household. Be easy on me...

Gary Miller

Attached Images

gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. That's a lot of firsts. The composition is good but lighting is not too good. You meter picked up on the bright background and caused the foreground to be dark. There are two ways you can adjust for this. First, if your new camera has spot metering available, spot meter on one of the figures in the foreground. Second, if the camera has an onboard flash, turn on the flash. When used in the daytime like this, this is called fill flash. The flash might be too powerful this close to the subject. If the flash overpowers the subject, see if you have a flash compensation control. If so, try setting it to -1.0. This reduces the power of the flash. You may have to play with the setting. Don't forget to set it back to zero when you are finished.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:21 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum Gary, you have a very interesting image for your first post. Use great caution taking your wife's valued items out in the yard. The other day I got caught using my wife's stuff and had to do some explaining. My wife thinks I am NUTS.

Jeff

jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4

Jeff

In the 2 years I lived there I was convinced that everybody in Alabama was nuts, but only during football season.

Gary

Is that really you in your avatar. I can hear the theme from "Deliverance" in my head:

Dum de-dum dum dum...
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:01 AM   #5

Welcome, Gary! Since the figurines were supposed to be the focal point, having them well lit so that the details weremore visible, would be the ideal. As Cal suggested, fill flash would be a good option. As for the spot metering, I'm not too sure it would be a good idea. The backgroundis already over exposed as is. Ifyou spot metered, thenthe backgroundwould really be washed out.I would actually move the camera away from the figurines a bit (or zoom out)to show more of the surroundings. IMO, that would be a better execution of the challenge (and it would also help with the lighting issue).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:51 AM   #6

Gary,

When it's not possible to go back to the spot and retake the photo another option is to drag out your photo editor and fix your shot. Some editors will allow you to adjust for bad lighting conditions in various ways. Hope you don't mind.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:54 AM   #7

Selvin

That's more like it...nice edit.

Gary

Isn't that the girl's trio from back in the Sixties, called the Amputee Sisters. I think their big hit was a remake of Kenny Rogers song about poker. Something about knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:55 AM   #8

Good job there, Selvin!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:12 PM   #9

What a great set of responses!

Cal, I will start experimenting with the fill lighting this week, especially with dialing it down. I purposely disabled the flash as I was so close that I was apprehensive about a whiteout if it did kick in.

Jeff: You are very wise there. I was playing with backlit shots when this figurine (attached photo) of my wife's took a tumble off the bird bath (into soft dirt thankfully) right after the shots. If that had landed on a rock my wife may have done more with my nuts than just think I am.

Walter: Yes, that avatar is really me. I am trying hard to work on the drooling part so that I can really get Deliverance (Dueling Banjos) down to a 'T'. I may have been asking for real trouble using that one on this group.

Tullio: Thanks for the nice rundown on what some of my shooting options would have been.

Selvin: Thank you for the touchup work and demo. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Am I correct in thinking that you mostly corrected contrast & brightness or do I detect some color enhancement as well? Very clean result whatever you did.

Thank you all for the very nice welcome. I am going to post another shot for the challenge as a fresh post and I will look forward to any constructive comments on that one as well.

Gary

Attached Images

gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:57 PM   #10

Gary,

The editing was done using Photoshop Elements 4.0 and nothing more difficult than asking for autofix. That's right a single click after the photo was loaded into PS Elements 4.0.
I was able to get a similar effect using IrfanView, a free photoeditor (www.IRFANVIEW.COM) and selecting IMAGE>ENHANCE PHOTOS> GAMMA CORRECTION (I moved the slider to approximately 1.25 and there you go.

PS Elelments 4.0 runs about $80 on sale.
IrafnView $0 but does not do layers and filters but is extremenly fast and furious.

Aloha, hope this helps.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote