Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:51 PM   #1

Here is another shot for the challenge. It was really hot yesterday so I took my laptop gargoyle from his coveted position above my computer and we went to the pool (birdbath) to do some work. The idea came from the realization of the marked similarities in the texture and colors of the gargoyle and the bath. I tried to shoot the shot to emphasize the matching tones but may have ended up with a touch too much blue.

I have not done any enhancements or processing at this point. Should submissions be worked over first or submitted straight from the camera?

Olympus E-500
F 4.5 @ 1/160
40-150mm digital kit lens @ 150mm (300 equiv.)
IS0 100

Regards,

Gary Miller
Attached Images

gmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:02 PM   #2

Due to the closeup, I can't tell that the gargoyle is sitting on a fountain. I also can't tell that the gargoyle is not part of the fountain. Perhaps if you could show us a more zoomed out photo of the gargoyle and fountain, it would show things better. Also, if you could show us the gargoyle in its normal location, from your description, that might be more dislocated.

In my opinion, this photo does not meet the requirements of the challenge.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:43 PM   #3

LOVE your gargoyle Gary, where can I get one of those????

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:32 PM   #4

Cal,

You are totally correct that the image does not stress what the challenge asked for and especially does not have the appearance of 'displaced'. It was actually the natural harmony of the textures and colors of the birdbath and the gargoyle that I attempted to blend in the shot. This does not emphasize displaced.

Here are a couple of shots that should give you confidence that I actually did displace something. As a newbie I better protect my credibility at least <gr>.

I may have to do this in two posts as multi-select seems disabled when I use the web interface attachment browser. Any tips on how to do multiples?

Jeff: He is my buddy, pal and protector and he watches over me all the time I'm on the computer. I did a quick google for 'Laptop gargoyle' and came up with a lot of folks bragging about theirs, but none for sale besides an expired Ebay listing for one. My wife gave him to me years ago, but I have no clue where she found him. I can ask her this evening.

Gary
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:33 PM   #5

Next pic...
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

I don't disklike your original photo. It is a good closeup shot of the gargoyle. I like the two additional shots you posted. The shot with the gargoyle on the shelf is great. I didn't know gargoyles could play the banjo. In the second shot the gargoyle looks natural as if it is part of the fountain. Apparently the crow likes it too.

I will accept that the gargoyle is displaced from its normal location but the photos, by themselves do not make that obvious.

Posting multiple shots as attachments is not possible with the forum software. To post multiple shots, you must host your photos on a hosting website and link to the photos in your posting. There are many such websites and some of them are free. I use Photobucket. A limited membership is free but there is a limit to how many photos you can post there and a bandwidth limit for access. An unlimited (in all respects) membership is about $30 per year.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:03 PM   #7

Thanks Cal. I didn't take your first comments as negative toward the photograph at all. You were just pointing out that it wasn't at all obvious that it was a displaced object in an unusual locale as appropriate for your role as a moderator.

The inside shot I was pretty happy with as it captures a lot of my personality and interests through the background. I managed to get that one with partially braced free hands on my 2nd night with the camera. The one with the bird was more of a snapshot as I was just trying to pop something off quickly to send you. He did seem facinated with my buddy though.

Actually gargoyles have a talent that I haven't yet mastered. They can play the banjo very quietly.

Thanks for the skinny on the multiple pics. I have my own webspace so it should be easy for me to just do direct links from there.

Regards,

Gary
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:07 AM   #8

I found some here: http://phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/gothic2.htm

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote