Attached Images

jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:07 PM   #2

Humming Bird
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:55 PM   #3

Great shots. I find it very hard to believe that 1/60th shutter speed was used. That is not fast enough to stop the wings. Are you sure that is not 1/600th?

I am sure you are aware of it but digital zoom degrades picture quality significantly because reduces the portion of the sensor that is used. It uses the center portion of the sensor while the pixel size remains the same. 2X digital zoom with a 5 mp camera effectively changes it to 2.5 mp. Most experienced photographers refuse to use it unless there is absolutely no other option available.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:01 AM   #4

Nice capture. Like Cal I am surprised that you were able to capture the action at 1/60 sec. Were you using flash?

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:11 AM   #5

I am impressed as I have been unable to get a decent hummingbird picture. these little creatures always seem to be "in flight". Thanks for sharing.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:26 AM   #6

I also found it hard to believe 1/60th shutter speed stopped the movement from the wings. So I check the information using 3 other programs, all state 1/60th shutter speed was used. I copped and pasted this info so a typo is also unlikely. I have several other photos taking in the P mode all stating 1/60[suP]th[/suP] shutter speed.Yes flash was used indicated by the shadow.

As for digital zoom degrading picture quality, I have read the same and did not use it. As my main focus is wildlife, I returned home saying what I say, not what I took a picture of, as it was to far away. So I decided to give it a try, what do I have to lose?

Using a tripod and having good lighting conditions IMO good captures can be obtained, remembering this is a 4 hundred-dollar camera. Most people posting wildlife are using 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of equipment. The moral of this post is don't believe everything you read.

Attached image was taking with harsh midday lighting at 19X digital zoom using a tripod, shutter speed of 1/320[suP]th[/suP], aperture Value of 4.0. What do you think? Much better than saying "I say a blue heron today".

Give it a try,
Jeff
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:36 AM   #7

Yes, flash was used indicated by the shadow. No cropping done.

Jeff
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:01 AM   #8

The flash may have been responsible for the excellent capture. The flash fires at very high speed, typically around 1/10,000th of a second. I/60th is a typical sync speed use by many cameras for flash. In this case, the shutter was open for 1/60th of a second but the flash was lighted for a much shorter period of time.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:38 PM   #9

As a comment, excellent pictures; I also own a S2 IS and, when used in P mode, it always fixes shutter speed to 1/60 when using flash; I normally use Tv mode to get around this, sometimes I use somewhat faster speeds, but often I use slower speeds to capture people at night, so the background doesn't come out too dark. But well, that's another issue and has nothing to do with this thread.
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:24 PM   #10

I have done some reading after Cal mentioned the shutter speed. I used the TV mode set at 1000[suP]th[/suP] of a second and flash. The camera will change the shutter speed to 500[suP]th[/suP] of a second dew to the flash. It was dusk and I felt I need the flash to help with the low lighting. When I get home I will try it without the flash.

Jeff