Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:48 PM   #1

A Canadair CL-215 on final approach.

Olympus E-500 with the 45-150 zoom (at max zoom). 1/500 sec at F7.1 with a monopod.

Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:42 AM   #2

Great shot Brent. This challenge appears to be all about shutter speed to freeze the action. 1/500[suP]th[/suP] froze the props with a slight blur. Cal may suggest a higher ISO and faster shutter speed, only a guess. As well as busting the mid tones in PP, as the sun appears to be over head. Focus and perspective are spot on. Great capture.

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:23 PM   #3

I think the only thing a higher shutter speed would do is make the propellers look sharper. In that case, the plane would appear to be hanging in the air rather that actually flying.

I like it the way it is. That is a most unusual aircraft. I don't think I've seen any of those in the US.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:08 PM   #4

I'm not even sure if this plane is certified for operation in the U.S.. I know, for the longest time anyway, it wasn't certified. I don't know if that situation has been rectified. Possibly the later turbine version is U.S. certified.

I have to apologize for slightly botching the image during the downsizing. I inadvertantly used the wrong program to downsize...not thinking it would makeany difference. But it introduced "jaggies" along part of the image. I fixed my methodology with todays' post (the regional jets) and I've learned my lesson .
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Mag

Great shot, especially considering the amount of zoom. Im really looking forward to getting my E500 tommorrow. Will be alot of fun learning how to use it and what it is capable of compared to my fz20.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 2:30 AM   #6

A slower shutter speed might have provided the classic blur in the props but would probably run the risk of making the plane blur a tad. Compromises....

What is this plane used for? Doesn't seem to be a passenger plane since there are very vew windows.

Ooops, I just noticed your sub-title says water bomber. I guess it's used for bombing water?

Nice job.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:46 AM   #7

Yep-- fighting forest fires.
Nice shot, Brent! I haven't seen one of those yet. (Not too many forests in southeast Michigan, though.)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:56 AM   #8

This particular plane is unique in that it was designed from the start to be a waterbomber. It's not a conversion of an older design. It refills it's water tanks by skimming across the surface of a lake or river and water is force into it through scoops on the bottom.

I had not intended to photograph Alberta based waterbombers! There are actually five of these planes based near my house...almost at the end of my block (I live near the airport). When I was photographing them landing, I assumed they were the local MANITOBA planes. It was only after I saw the images on the screen that I realized they weren't what I was expecting.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:06 AM   #9

Nice, colorful shot of an unique looking plane. I agree with Cal on the shutter speed. Using a very fast speed while capturing a flying bird is desirable just so the bird appears clear and focused and the details of its body can be better seen. In this case, the picture is already sharp and all the details are already visible.

On a side note, wow Mag, you believe theFZ20 can possibly compare w/ the E500? Irecently boughta FZ20 (could not pass onits price - $299 w/ free shipping and no sales tax) and to be honest, I don't quite understand all the commotion about this camera.But, that's only my opinion!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote