Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1

I was shooting some helicopters at the Hillsboro, OR airport yesterday. Here are a couple shots of a trainer coming in for a landing. In the first shot, the helo is about 30 feet above the ground approaching the landing pad. In the second, the helo has reached the pad, gone into a hover and swung the tail around 180 degrees in preparation for touchdown. The Piper airplane on the right is the surprise. I didn't notice the plane turn onto final approach and as I was shooting this photo, I saw the plane go by in the viewfinder. I looked at the picture I had just snapped and this is what you see.

Nikon D100, Nikon 70-300mm lens, ISO 400

1/2500th at f6.3, handheld

1/4000th at f8, handheld

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:44 PM   #2

That second photo is pretty cool, Cal. You managed to capture both the helicopter and the little plane up in the air. The very fast shutter speed totallyfroze the propellers.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:22 PM   #3

Great shot Cal. You sure froze the action, not to mention a wonderful surprise. Good focus on what appears to be an overcast day.

Jeff
Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:58 PM   #4

If a guy wanted to shoot his mouth off just for the sake of making a comment, he might point out that the "Piper" is actually a Mooney. Fortunately, I'm not that kinda' guy :-)!

Great pics. Close enough to smell the fuel. Just the way I like it.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:43 PM   #5

I suspected it might be a Mooney but without seeing the tail, how can you tell?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:57 PM   #6

One quick Mooney vs. Piper identifier is the side windows. Piper's retractables generally have threeor four and Mooney tranditionally has the two big side windows. But there are other little things. Even though the old Comanches just had two side windows, they had spindly little main gear doors. Those big fat main gear doors in your picture are pure Mooney.

Keeping this on the photography topic: As you can guess, I'm also an airplane buff. When I was out taking pictures last week, it was a slow and dissappointing day. I had my E-500 on the monopod and I was just packing up to leave. I heard a small twin coming in but I didn't bother to put my camera back on the monopod. Small twins are a dime a dozen around here. But I looked through my viewfinder just so I could get a closer look.

I was horrified to discover that the twin was an ultra-rare Riley Twin Navion. I was able to snap a couple of pictures but at max zoom without the monopod, I got some serious camera shake. Darn it.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:53 AM   #7

You can also look up the registration number. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...um_inquiry.asp
It's a Mooney M20J.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote