Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1

Yes, this is violating the rules, but I have no way to go out and shoot these again and I wanted to show them. The ship (USS Long Beach CGN-9) doesn't exist any more and the helicopter is probably gone, also. These were shot in the Tonkin Gulf in Vietnam in 1968. The camera was a Minolta SRT101A and the film was Kodak Ektachrome 64. The lens was probably a Minolta 135mm prime telephoto. Exposure unknown.

These two shots show what is known in the Navy as an aerial replenishment or "VERTREP". The helicoptor is used to transfer cargo and mail from a supply ship to another ship while underway. The helicopter doen't land on either ship. Instead, it uses a long pole with a hook to transfer pallettes and cargo nets filled with cargo. They usually used three helicopters and replenished two ships at the same time. Needless to day, it kept everyone busy!

The first shot shows one of the helos carrying a basket full of compressed gas bottles, probably nitrogen. The second shows the helo hovering just above the deck of the Long Beach. I got in trouble for taking this picture. The location from which I shot this was supposed to be kept clear for safety reasons.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:59 PM   #2

Great capture Cal, thanks for sharing.

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:58 AM   #3

Did you scan these? Very impressive scans, if you did!
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:20 AM   #4

Yes, these are scanned 35mm slides. I still have about 70 rolls of film to scan in my long term scanning project but, unfortunately, my film scanner has gone belly up! I'm not sure if it is the scanner or the USB2 card in my computer.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote