Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Mag

This is a work in progress, the lighting needs alot of help, but I think you should get the idea.
Attached Images

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2

Very interesting. How did you do it?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Mag

It was done with a strobe light. I wish i could get it lit up better while moving, maybe a briter strobe light would help some. The funny thing is is this was my first try at it, all the other shots are poor in comparison. The card only showed up once or twice, in this shot theres a near perfect trail. Got lucky with the timing and it even ended well positioned. Its lit well after it sits on table for a second while still exposing.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:22 AM   #4

If you can't adjust the power of the strobe, you need a larger aperture (smaller f-stop). You might also increase the speed of the strobe if possible. Since the end point of the sequence in this shot is bright, I assume the strobe flashed several times before you could close the shutter. In this case you need a second person. One person handles the card and the other runs the camera.

Are you using a theatrical strobe or a flash with strobe capabilities?

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:56 AM   #5
Mag

Thanx Cal, im using an egg strobelight that plugs into a regular bulb outlet. It adjust from 1 to 5 flashes a second. But its not very strong. I set the timer on my camera and got positioned to throw the card.Your right about the strobe flashing quite a bit after card landed. I can still speed up the strobe somemore, ill try with faster strobe setting and shorter exposure time. I would like to eventually get a nice flash, im not sure Oympus makes one with strobe capabilities for Evolt E500. I will probably get a stronger strobelight until i can afford and find a good external flash with strobe settings.

Best regards,

Mag
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:42 AM   #6

Mag,

Definitely a creative entry. Yes, a brighter strobe might have helped but the trick is still evident. The dealer's hand motion and the card's twirl is there to see.

Aloha and thanks for sharing the shot and the technique.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote