Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:18 PM   #1

OK, slight exaggeration, it's not actually a bullet, its a laser pointer shoved on the end of a screwdriver. It's the closest thing I had to a bullet when the idea hit me.

I shot this on my Nikon D50, and it is the first time I have tried to take a shot like this, so its not exactly perfect, but it gets the point across - I hope.

To take it I set the camera for a 2 second shutter, stuck my left arm out about a foot in front of the camera, pressed the shutter and moved.

It took six abysmal attempts before I finally got one worth keeping.

KFA
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:11 AM   #2

KFA, I know what you're trying to get at (it's like those shots on CSI where they show the bullet entering a body..._ )

I think the background looks more diffused rather than motion blurred as what you would expect in a motion shot. Undoubtedly, this effort is over and beyond the call of duty.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your efforts.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:16 AM   #3

I agree with selvin. This photo would be quite impressive if the background was blurred to make more motion visable. I suppose it could be done in photoshop or postprocessing for your own personal use. Giveit a try and come back, I'd love to see the end result.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:23 AM   #4

After sacraficing my laser pointer for the previous shot, I had to find something bullet shaped in my home, best thing I could come up wth was this pen.

I can see what the both of you mean by the difference betrween defusion and blurring now, the blurring of the background certainly does promote the idea of motion.

You will have to forgive the quality of the shot,the only propsI had was a pen and my two hands.

Please feel free to tell me if the image is better or worse than the previous posting.

Kind regards

KFA

(One thing I did realise by taking this image was, just how dirty my sensor has become)
Attached Images

Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:14 PM   #5

Much better execution in the second shot. the background now begins to look a "bullet" is in motion.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:37 PM   #6

Wow! Now that's impressive and just what you had in mind originally! Good work.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:47 PM   #7

Thank you both for your help and praise.

KFA.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:08 PM   #8

I have looked at these shots many times and read the commentary but couldn't come up with a good comment.

I know what you are trying to do but I don't think you've done it. Also, in my opinion, you are try to "fake" a shot. You have created an interesting effect but, again in my opinion, you have not created a speeding bullet.

Cal

(I'm probably going to get flamed for this!)
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:30 AM   #9

I have to point out something obvious, of course its fake! Who in their right mind would fire a bullet through their kitchen and try tophotograph it?

There is also thelittle pointof not owning a gun that would stop me takinga picture of a real bullet in motion, well that, and my lack of photographic talent.

The image was more of an idea than anything else, and as you can see the first one was not much of anything, but the second one gave the illusion of movement. Theoretically the pen I used was in motion as it was heldin front of the lens as I moved my body, so it would fall into the category of "Things inmotion", but as you quite rightly point out, it is not a bullet. I could have called this string "Fat radio pen moving in my kitchen", but I would have been the only person ever to look at it :-)

If you know of a technique I could useto create the illusion of a speeding bullet, without the use of firearms and high speed cameras, I am willing to try it out and post the result. I use this forum mostly to learn from people who are far better then I am, so any advice you could offer me would be appreciated.

As for you comment on a whole. For people like myself who are still at the stage of "trying" to create decent photographic images. Reading a comment such as the one you left for me could put them off posting their work again, so I am wondering if you wouldconsider leaving feedback that is slightly more constructive for them in future?

By this I mean,offer them some advice on how to make the image better, and point out where they are going wrong, and how to rectify their faults. Hence my asking you for advice.

I doubtyou being flamed for your comment,everyone is entitled to their opinion and what one person thinks is an OK piece of work, another can think is utter crap, but that is how we learn right? From comments and examples.

I would like to thank you for commenting on my images though, and your comments have been taken on board, and should you offer my some advice I will try to create a better more realistic image next time.

Regards

KFA