Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:29 AM   #1
daz

robar posted a photo of a lake that he changed the color balance to get a silhouette. Although this created an interesting photo with pretty colors the comments where that it was not "au naturale". I can understand this point of view and appreciate it but here is the problem. Just about everthing I shoot is RAW. In RAW just about everything is what I set it to, except aperture and shutter speed, is controlled later. That is the point of shooting in RAW. I can make it what I remember it looking like or what I think it should look like. The bottom line is it will not be what it really looks like. For something like a silhouette it will not even look like it looked to my eyes when I took the photo as I made the camera under expose it at the time. I had to see what I wanted in my minds eye. Then set the camera to get what I knew I was going to manipulate in the computer later to get what I hope was in my minds eye. So the question is how much is too much?

Pentax *ist DS 1/350 sec f 13 55 mm ISO 200 and some editing stuff @ 9/12/05 New Orleans LA on the Mississippi river.

First photo I manipulated and the second one is RAW "au naturale".

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:30 AM   #2
daz

And here is the RAW.
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:10 AM   #3

Lovely image. I think that theissue here is that in your case, you simply enhanced the RAWimage by adding some punch to the sun,increasing the contrast and sharpness. The overall colors are pretty much the same between the RAW and edited versions. Over orunder exposing the image on purpose to obtain a certain effect is what makes a photographer a "good" photographer. It is no different than using a slow shutter speedto create a cottony effect when photographing a waterfall. Now, you take a picture where there is no silhouette because you did not set the camera to capture the image that way in the first placeand then you manipulate the colors to obtain that effect is a total different story (IMO) and that type of art work falls into a different category.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 3:13 AM   #4

Daz,

Tullio says it perfectly. For the purposes of this challenge forum, some modification of the photo is acceptable in oder to emphasize certain aspects or correct a color cast etc. However to make something it wasn't is outside the theme of this fourm and should be exhibited in a more appropriate forum.

Cal takes this very seriously andI think the vast majority of us share his sympathies.

Thechanges in your raw shot makes it more appealing to the eye.

Very nice work

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:07 PM   #5
daz

Thanks Tullio and selvin. This is also basically how I think also. I just wanted to be totally honest and to see if we all agree on just how much clothing the emperor has on. As this is mostly an educational forum I will see if the next post is also OK.

DAZ