Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:40 AM   #1

I Shot this last night. To be honest it was not for the silhouette, it was mostly for the colour of the sky, but it sort of comes together, so I thought I would submit it.

Shot on a Nikon D50 with standard Nikon 18-55mm lens, settings were f4.5 at 1/50s.

This image has been resized from 3000x1704 to 600x341 in order to fit it into the forum. So it might appear slighly distorted.

Thanks for looking.

KFA
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2

The sky is certainly nice but for some reason the WOW is not there. Perhaps it's the cropping size or the fact that the trees are way too far out. Not sure, really but you certainly got the silhouette.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:38 AM   #3

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
The sky is certainly nice but for some reason the WOW is not there.
I totally agree with you Tullio.

I think the basic problem with my photo is it has no presence. Sure there is a silhouette there, its a few trees and someassorted background items, and the colours in the sky make it look pretty, but like you say, it has no WOW factor.

I guess I would describe it as an image, that is how I see it. It has no feeling to it and certainly does not evoke any when you view it either, it just appears, how can I put this? ..... static?, is that the correct term to use?

I guess will put this down to a nice try, and when the Sun eventually appears again here in the UK, I will try to produce an image with some sense of feeling and emotion to it.

Thanks foryour feedback, and I am glad I am not the only person who thinks thisshot lacks that certain quality that seprates an image from a photograph.

All the best

KFA

Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:38 AM   #4

I liked the shot more than Tullio. I agree that the horizon might be a tad cluttered in the silhouette but I think you would have difficulty in moving the paddock for your shot.

I don;t think cloning would have been appropriate.

Xheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:49 AM   #5

Thanks Selvin, but like I said previously to Tullio, it is not an attention grabber, it has no WOW to it. I am not used to capturing silhouette's so the images I post on here are my first attempts, so I am still getting a feeling for this imagery, and I think that shows.

I took both your and Tullio's advice and recropped the image to a larger size and took out most of the paddock in the foreground. I think the image looks better now, but it still lacks that certain something a great shot needs.

Still, you learn by your mistakes, and thinking positive, I can only improve.

Regards

KFA
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:36 AM   #6

I like the cropped version but I think you should cut the sides rather than the bottom, The big tree is the focal point of the image and luckily, the most interesting part of the sky is right above the big tree. Thus, cropping the sides will not compromise the image but emphasize the focal point.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:00 AM   #7

KFA,

Remember, our thoughts are personal and based on what we are seeing on our screens. Your crop is a an improvement and Tullio's crop of the sidelines especially the tall post on the right takes away a distraction. It also seemed a bit out of place with the rustic nature of the shot.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:21 PM   #8

Ahhhhhh! I see!

I left the telegraph pole in to show that the thin lines in the picture were phones lines and not a fault of a camera. But as I can see, taking it out not only makes no difference to the details concerning the lines, bhut it also dramitically improves the picture.

It's amazing, everytime I come to this site I learn something :-)

Thanks Tullio for showing me this, and for your helpful hint.

Regards

KFA
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:25 PM   #9

I know Selven, and I understand what you are saying, butmy biggest problem is I try to make everything perfect, so in essence I am my own worse critic. It is my way of pushing myself so I do the best of what I am doing.

Maybe I should cut myself some slack :lol:

KFA