Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:08 PM   #1
daz

To me photography and something like painting are opposite ends of the same thing. Painting is an additive whereas photography is subtractive.

With a painting the painter starts with a blank canvas and adds information to it. The idea is to know how to add this information and when to stop adding information.

With photography we start with an infinite 3 dimensional wave front and subtract (or throw away) 99 percent of the information just taking the photo. We loose the information with the lens and the sensor. Then when we do something to the captured image like color balance or lighten/darken it we are throwing away more information.

We like to think we are doing something positive and we are but in the same way a diamond cuter is doing something positive by cutting away parts of the diamond to get a pretty stone. So to me photography is about controlling what I throw away and knowing how to do this. If I have better lenses and sensor all I am doing is throw away less from the start because once it is gone I can't get it back. So knowing when to stop throwing away is very important.

With that in mind here is a photo that I throw away more then I usually like to because I made a mistake when I took the photo. I was so busy looking at the bird so I could take the photo at the "right" time I made 2 mistakes. (1) I let the camera set the aperture to high, this made it a little to bright so I lost some of the color (2) I was following the bird (I wasn't trying to) and stopped pointing right at the sun. This did two things. First it let the camera think it was not as bright and it made a lens flare appear next to the sun because I did not have the sun in the center of the frame. The more open aperture made it worse. So I had to spend more time "correcting" this on the computer.

Pentax *ist DS 1/350 sec f 9.5 55 mm ISO 200 and some editing stuff @ 9/12/05 New Orleans LA on the Mississippi river.

The "corrected" photo first.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:09 PM   #2
daz

The RAW un "corrected" photo.

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:57 AM   #3

Daz,

In this particular set of entries I much prefer the RAW image. Personally, I find the edited image a bit oversaturated. This may have resulted in whatI perceive to be a reduction in sharpness as evidenced by the image of the sun.

Composition is great.

You seem to be enjoying the Pentax. I see that a new version is out with shake reduction. I may be taking a more serious look at the Pentax offerings in the new year.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:19 AM   #4

I like them both but I agree with Selvin. The first is a bit too intense. I guess it would be OK if we did not have the raw image to compare with but since we do, I too go with the RAW.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:22 AM   #5

I also prefer the more subtle colors of the RAW image. Nice capture with the bird included.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:02 PM   #6
daz

Ahh. Constructive input, I like. So less is more. Sounds good. So here is less, how now?

DAZ
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:45 PM   #7

Daz,

I think this is closer to Nirvana. Even though it lacks the heightened effect of the saturated sunset, the mood, the more subtle shades of the evening sky etc. make this a better treatment.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:45 PM   #8
daz

Thanks selvin. There is about a year between when I worked on the photo the first time to the second time. I would hope I am getting better at this over time. This is also one more reason I like to shoot RAW. As I learn I can go back and use that to improve what I do.

I do like the Pentax camera. I have used many different cameras over the decades. I have recommended many cameras to others over the years, mostly non-Pentax, but I have only purchased Pentax cameras for my self. Pentax has the new K100D out. I have looked at it and played with it some. It looks like a very good camera and if I did not have the DS I have now I would probably buy that one today. The IS on the camera is very good and is something I could make use of with the kind of photos I take. It just is not that big of an improvement over my DS to get me to buy new camera. There is a rumor that next year Pentax will have out a camera with IS, 10MP and maybe more sensor light depth. If it is like the DS I may "have to" buy it.

DAZ
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:27 PM   #9

Much better...you achieved amore natural look
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:35 PM   #10

I like the last shot the best. Good work.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote