Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:36 PM   #1

There was a problem with using a second exposure from the same scene to use the moon from, showing detail. Here is one straight from the Camera, Less interesting in my opinion.

Pentax ist DS, Tokine 28-70mm, f2.8

Ed
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:51 PM   #2

Snooked, this is a perfect example of the dilemna that we face on occasions. Your silhouette makes the challenge but it is less attractive than the double exposure.

Life's a bummer. Like you I've tried innumerable times to figure out the ideal setting for objects like your lighthouse and a bright moon. To be honest my eforts have been a dismal failure. I haven't found the sweet spot yet. I'm sure it probably exists. I'd probably have more luck if I was using a DSLR rather than a prosumer camera. Next year, maybe...

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:10 PM   #3
daz

Selvin you would have some improvement with a camera like a DSLR. You could even do better if you shoot it in RAW. You can even do better if you used a film camera, but there is no camera make at this time that you could buy that could get the "sweet spot" for this photo. A DSLR has a light depth of 4 maybe 5 stops. A film camera with the right film may give you something like 6-9 stops. This photo is more like 10-15 stops wide. The only way to get something like this is to use 2 exposures and blend them. This is a limit of the equipment we have at this time. Maybe in five years or so we will not be so limited. I took a photo like this once and had to use 3 exposures and blend them to get all the different parts to all be visible. I kind of like what I got but it is not something that this forum would approve of so that kind of photo is not some thing I would submit. I have submitted it on other forums but this forum is more about how to get some thing when I push the shutter release. Other forums are for things like what to do to the photo in the computer.

snooked, if you like this kind of photography keep working on it. It is a way to get around the limitations of the equipment we have at this time to get closers to what we see.

DAZ
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:46 PM   #4

There is a relatively simple solution to this dilema. It is called a graduated or split neutral density filter. Half of the filter is clear glass and half is a neutral gray. In this scene, I would position the dark half of the filter at the bottom so it would reduce the ambient light without affecting the sky, moon, or lighthouse.

Nice setting and composition.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

I just feel using the filter would be an artificial way to achieve the same effect of using two exposures. No camera I know of will have the dynamic range to get this shot without artificial intervention. If I placed a moon in a position it did not exist in, that would be phony.

Ed
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:43 PM   #6

Photographers have been using filters for decades to overcome the shortcomings of the media, either film or, in this case, digital sensors. I do not consider using exposure correction filters to be cheating. Using color correction or special effect filters is closer to using PS to create special effects.

It has not been uncommon for photographers to combine images in the darkroom or by using multiple exposures. These techniques are somewhat the same, in principle, to combining images in the photo editor. Consequently, I guess this use of Photoshop to create this image is legitimate. I will accept this use of Photoshop to create the image. Now, don't go sneaking in any UFOs into the picture!

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:54 PM   #7

Thank you for having an open mind. The shot in this thread was just converted from RAW and coverted to BW. The photo "Hillsboro Inlet" was coverted, darkend a little to reduce the glow around the Moon, and the Moon taken from another exposure. They were taken at same place with tripod. I could not blend the photos because the boat had moved slightly.