Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:32 AM   #1

Can I convert my existing lens to a macro lens. Tamron 28-75 or Canon 50mm 1.8.
I would like to know more about extension tubes and close up lens. Can I achieve good macros with extension tubes and close up lens on the above lens? What is the use of extension tubes?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:57 AM   #2

FYI - http://www.vividlight.com/articles/2703.htm
and here: http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/ExtensionTube.htm

You might want to check into theses higher quality diopters as well:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Also it depends a lot on what you are shooting. The size of the object is very important.

Creatures like butterflies and frogs and flowers don't need true Macro 1:1 lenses usually, as long as you can get reasonably close.

Smaller insects, like dragonflies and bees, will need a 1:1.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:56 PM   #4

While good macros are easier with a real macro lens, the 50mm f/1.8 and tubes allows decent results. You will need to do a little more of the work in preplanning since each tube or combination of tubes will only allow a small range of subject sizes as shown in my composite image below. The lens itself has a rather small amount of extension and it will seem like next to nothing when compared to the 68mm provided by a set of tubes. That means you have to look at a subject and decide what tubes to put on the lens before the subject crawls away. This is not so bad with a little practice but a lens that focuses from infinity to 1:1 is a lot more convenient.

On this photo, the top row shows what you get with the tubes listed and the lens set to infinity while the bottom row shows the additional cropping you get setting the lens to the nearest distance.

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote