Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:21 PM   #1

Just bought a canon rebel xt that came with a 18-55 lense. I'm looking forward to all that this camera has to offer,but am concerned about the lense, should have bought the body only and gotten lenses or a lense that is more all around. I'm looking for advice. Is there a good all around lense or are there a couple that will do the wide angle and the landscape, out door farther off type pictures. Thanks in advance.
cber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:17 AM   #2

Congrads on the new camera. The kit lens that you have can take some good shots, but you need to stop it down a bit. This lens is not that good wide open. You can stop it down to about F8, and the image should be fairly good.

This lens willbe good to learn your camera. It will also help you figure out what you needin a lens,either a wide angle,normal, or a telephoto.

Another question is this, what type of budget are youlookingto spend on lenses? I good starting point if you are new tophotography is the lens that you have for the wide tonormal shooting. If you need a telephoto and are on a budget, the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APODG Macro would be a good start.

This setup will not break the bank, and get you some good shots. They will both let you understand what you need in future lenses, and the type of money you will need to spend.

Hope thishelps

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:50 PM   #3

I use the 18-55 EF-S kit lens a fair amount, and do get good results, particularly in the F6.3/F7.1/F8 aperture range. If you shoot RAW, sharpness can be adjusted in your RAW conversion software prior to conversion. Dave.
EOS350D-SA is offline   Reply With Quote