Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:24 AM   #1

The last time I posted, I was looking for the ideal camera for my Yearbook class that will take sports pictures both on the field and indoors. The recommended camera was the Canon 30D which was purchased. The lenses were 70-200 2.8 and 1.4x tc for outdoors and then a 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 for indoors. However, the yearbook publisher purchased an EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III and a Sigma 18-125 mm F3-5.6.Hetold methat I needed to purchaseall the other equipment and give him the receipts.I am a little lost to whether (ideally) I need additional lenses to take sports pictures as nice as the newspapers or what I have is more than adequate. This is a one-time purchase so I need to make the best purchases for my students. Please let me know your recommendations.

Addendum: I will also be purchasing a camera case, a mono pod, a vertical battery grip, and 2- Sandisk Ultra II 2G memory cards. Is there anything else I should be purchasing? Thank you for your time and help.
Bville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2006, 8:47 AM   #2

Actually I think you're pretty well covered with your lenses, unless you really want to spends some big bucks for some long, fast primes like the 300mm f/4L IS or 400mm f/5.6. The f/2.8 versionsare really pricy.You mayhave some limitations for like night games outdoors depending on the field lighting,so the 1.4x TC may not be useful for those games as it would cost you too much light.But if the fieldis well lit, you will just have to check it out. If I was going to add another lens I would say a 24-70mm f2.8 zoom, and a back up body would also be a good idea.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:29 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Bville,

The recommendation still stands (not that I made it in the first place) but apart from the 85mm f1.8 I have just moved to the setup you mention (it is on the list of lenses to buy next and I won't bother with the 50mm). I would ask if the person who made the purchase still has the receipts as I would be looking for a refund to put it towards the lenses that you really want to use!! If you need to keep the price down then only go for the 85mm rather the 50mm as it is often too wide unless you are sitting on top of the players. Another way to keep costs down is to go Sigma rather than Canon, the results will be a lot better than you will get with the 75-300. If budget is not an issue then I would add on the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 as this is going to give you the extra range needed forfield sports. Yes you can shoot with the 75-300 but it is not a bright enough lens to get the shots when it is not daytime. I would not be using the 18-125 for much as it has quite bad barrel distortion when wide so I don't like the results. I would go for the recommendation of Caboose on the standard zoom or get the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5DC Macro which is a lower cost option.

Hope that helps.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4

Also consder the 580EX Flash. I work for a Studio that covers Sports for High school yearbook contracts.We primarily use the 70-200mm Canon2.8 with the 20D but the Sigma will give good results as well. We use the flash for all sports except Softball and Baseball.

The Sigma 120-300 2.8 would be great for Baseball and softball as well. The extra reach would be great. One of our newspaper photographers has one and loves it.Theother lens ranges would be a plus as well.I also have the 17-70 Sigma mentionedas a personal lens and really like it.

Good luck with your shopping!

Trique Daddi

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote