Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:29 PM   #1

1D series cameras have this 8 point selective spot metering system. My question is if we select these spots in such a way that extreme dynamic range like a bright sky and a relatively dull foreground, will the camera still meter these two differently and generate a better picture than the current DSLR's do.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:47 PM   #2

You probably mean 9 (square) or 11 (previous 9 + 2 more on either side)
-> which turns the 1D metering into a 'BIG' spotmeter - not the same as the evaluative metering on existing dSLR which are more intelligent/sophisticated...

More selective may be, but just like any spotmeter it can works against you if you don't know your neutral grey from black or white... The center weighted mode, even though it provide the same metering area as the above linked 9/11 spots is probably more forgiving IMO :shock:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:03 PM   #3

i read in the reviews which said the following.

Spot metering
a. Center spot metering (2.4% of viewfinder center)
b. AF point linked spot (2.4% of image at selected spot)
c. Multi-spot metering (max 8 spots can be selected)

I was trying to find what exactly the Multi-Spot metering was about. Like if i have a blue sky, but my closest object is dark, i take a compromise by shooting for the sky and adjust the brighness in PS or related software.

With Multi Spot metering i was wondering if we can let the camera evaluate the sky as well as the dark object close to me.

Hope this makes some sense. Sorry for being too confusing

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4

I think no matter how high tech and complicated a light meter, it can't do wonders on exposure. If there's a bright blue sky and a low lit object in the foreground, you pretty much have to decide at that point what is more important to you (unless you use a flash or other tool).

If you want both, I suppose you could meter both objects and expose right in the middle, and then see if you can tweak the picture with software to get both exposed properly. In that case the multiple spot meter might come in handy. Of course, if the objects are very different in brightness, you will probably end up with a pretty dull picture.

But to answer your question, the mutli spot meter might come in handy on some specific situations, but in the end I think it's experience (and maybe some bracketing) that will get you the better result.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:45 PM   #5

The problem you describe really isn't a problem of metering. Its a problem with the sensors. They just can't take a picture with that wide a range of contrast.

In other words, not matter what metering system you used (fancy computer or the human brain) you can't get a picture with the vast majority of digital cameras (all?) that will properly expose a badly backlit subject at high noon & get good detail in the sky. You can play tricks with double converting a RAW file to draw out detail... but I'd argue that that is giving the picture more exposure latitude than the sensor can do in one conversion.

Cameras with many metering points (I think some of the high end Nikon dSLRs & SLRs have a 35-point matrix metering system) *could* do a better job dealing with backlit subjects. If it could detect the situation and then it chose to correct for it. In my experience you have to use your brain (like Michi said) and fix it yourself. In my case, I use exposure compensation. You have to pick what you want properly exposed (usually the backlit subject) and then just blow out the sky. The sky is less important any ways.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:33 PM   #6

Its a problem with the sensors. They just can't take a picture with that wide a range of contrast
I think Eric's point has hit the spot!
If I just focusing on the tip of my nose, what else can I see clearly?
not much, right?
I hoped someday, the camera could designated each area to different part of sensor (just like a high-end application can pin a CPU just to work on it's request), and voila! everything would be so much nicer & sharp at the same time.
OK, I am going back to my dream mood....:G
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote