Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:53 AM   #1

This is probably a better question for the 'Which camera should I buy' thread, but I wanted to hear from Canon folks.

I'll be buying my first dSLR before too long and I just don't know which one to buy. A friend recommended the Olympus E-500, and that looks like an excellent 'quality vs. price' system; the Nikon D80 seems to have pro quality at a price that will have me not eating for 4 months; and then there's Canon.

I have owned a Canon A-1 (anybody remember those?) for over 25 years and I worship the ground this camera walks on. Score one for Canon.

I currently own an Oly C-3000Z and it has taken some good pictures. I like their software and camera settings options, so they get a gold star, too.

Last week, I had the opportunity to buy a Canon XT at a closeout price and I passed it by, so color my butt purple from kicking myself.

So...do I play it safe and go with the Olympus E-500, teter on financial ruin and go for the D80 so I can take great pictures, or take the middle ground and go for an XT when the prices drop (due to the introduction of the XTi)?

Also, should I go with Canon, I have a couple of nice FD lenses. I can live without auto-focus (some of the time); is it possible to hang an FD on an XT?

I take a lot of pictures in dark bars (which prompted this whole 'gotta get a new camera NOW' thing) where there are fleeting targets, and I also like to take pictures of airplanes. Sample photos upon request.

Thanks in advance, and now that I'm done typing they can put me back in that strait jacket.
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:25 AM   #2

I must chime in here and say stay away from the Olympus! You will pay a fortune for a different lens if the time comes you want a new one...the 4/3rds system is very limiting. I had an E-300 and it was very dissappointing. I could not give that thing away on Ebay. I just purchased a XT and am extremly happy with it. Keep looking for a good closeout deal or see if you can find a good deal on a used one like I did on Ebay for a steal. Any Canon will serve you you better and be more affordable than an Olympus.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:05 AM   #3

I love my XT, it does all I need it to do. Your old FD mount lenses won't fit the Canon EOS SLRs. You'll need either the EF or EF-S lenses for the XT. Note that Canon makes a 50 mm f1.8 lens that only costs $75 and receives rave reviews. Sure, the build quality is not up to "L" level, but you can't beat the price for an f1.8 lens. On the XT body, the 50 mm lens gives the field of view that you would get from an 80 mm lens on a film body.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4

check sony alpha.

a camera that comes wiht a built in IS making all lens IS. The IS does work and u will have to play around with the camera to reallly understand what i am saying.

For the money compared to XTi sony alpha looks a better buy. And check this

sony alpha with two lens can cover 17-500mm with IS enabledd.

say 17-50 lens and a 50-500 lens. all IS enabled.

Do play with alll possible cameras..Go to the circuit city nearby and they have almost all cameras except the high end pro ones.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:54 PM   #5

I got my first DSLR a few months ago, a Canon Rebel XT. Been really happy with it, even though I only have the kit lens and the 50mm f/1.8 so far. Prices are pretty low right now, after the introduction of the XTi. Solid buy, in my opinion.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:44 PM   #6

I agree .... I love my XT.
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:02 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I like your by-line on this thread.

Who to take to the prom? Well I would say that depends a lot on whether you just fancy a fun night out or whether you think you might want to get married and the prom is just one step on long road.

If you're just looking for a hot date then I reckon you have a whole range of options, and shouldn't overlook any of the entry-level DSLRs. Pentax, Nikon, Sony, Olympus even Panasonic all have respectable entries, most of them looking a bit better in some respects than the XT/XTi.

If you're looking to get married however, then Canon has to be the way to go.

In the digital SLR race Canon has usually taken most of the big steps forward, then the others jockey for position and try to catch up. Sometimes they even manage to overtake Canon for a bit. I personally reckon we're due (and the internet rumours suggest) for another fist full of Aces from Canon which will push them back into the lead for another 12-18 months and leave everyone else looking like ugly ducklings for a while.

I don't have any figures to back it up, but I reckon Canon probably spends more in R&D than all of the other manufacturers combined. In Feb/March 2007 I think we're going to see Canon release a new XXD which is going to blow away the competition and a bunch (3 or 4) new XD cameras which will simply be in a class of their own.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:50 AM   #8

Hi jbigfoot and others!

I also like your by-line for this thread. and I think there has also been valuable input already. But still I'll just add my 2 cents worth.

Firstly... I also own a Canon 350D / Rebel XT and 4 Canon lenses I'm very happy with it. I know it's often more important (most important!) to apply good technique (honed through learning, practising and applying knowledge!) rather than having the very latest and greatest. that's why I'm still (trying to) learn many things and put them into practise with my photographic gear into turning out photos I (& others!) value and appreciate.

Any of the above mentioned DSLRs will be able to give you access to producing great photos, it's mainly up to YOU! However having said thatthere are various aspects and features you should consider (e.g. price, ergonomics, expandability, quality, speed, etc, etc) on various fronts! I decided to go with Canon because I have seen their products generally doing very well in the field and their lens range and quality is perhaps the largest / highest around (but hey, that's a topic / argument for another discussion). But seriously, even with the cheapest kit lens many wonderful photos can be made in varied and many situations.

Secondly, I read with interest what peripatetic wrote. When I bought the Canon XT (350D) it was (perhaps arguably) "clearly the best" entry level DSLR to be had. Since then many manufacturers have come out with very hot competition, both in the entry level DSLR stage and upwards), and ones I've particularly noted include very good offerings from Nikon, Sony and Olympus. There are other brands (e.g. Pentax, Panasonic, etc) with their "fantastic cameras" (in all seriousness to them)which I know about,read a number of professional and user reviews about etc, downloaded the specs from the manufacturer, etc. I've mainly though been interested in the "competition" between Nikon and Canon (the two largest DSLR producers / sellers in the world market as I understand). I think particularly Nikon has produced some fine cameras in the last year and a half or so.

But this (Nikons' fierce competition particularly and the other brands also) canonly mean good things (hopefully) for Canon's "lash-back", and if peripatetic is right in his predictions (he usually is or at least pretty close!) then we might see some of Canon's R&D paying off in the next 6 to 24 months with some (more) real good quality cameras and perhaps new lenses. I could write pages about the "ideal camera" and of course "the ideal lenses" (all at a low low price fo course!) but I won't do such wish-list writing (or maybe prophecying?) here.

Recently I have noticed the increasing amount of people (from occasional tourist to budding new photographer) who are investing their time and money in DSLR equipment, and thus this pays back into expanded budgets for the manufacturers (including R&D, production, etc).

As I'm more or less committed to Canon's line up with my 4 lenses, and anyway am very happy with what I've seen from Canon till now, I hope that there will indeed come a "fist full of Aces from Canon"which can only benefit all consumers in the long run.... including those who are (or might be) tied in to other manufacturers (by way of the lenses they already own, etc).. as a future wave of competitive energy hits the market.

jbigfoot, don't be too confused. Take any of them out for a date, or be prepared to get married to one or the other. I can recommend the Canon family for good offerings... Let us know how you go.

Paul (I've got a marketing degree)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:46 PM   #9

Thanks, guys. And thanks for the props about the topic line. I work in media, so we're always jazzing things up! :idea:

As for my camera dilemma, for the first time I went to the camera store tonight to take these cameras out on a date and that might have been a big mistake. Everybody is in agreement that I should weigh other factors, and I did. I like the Nikon D80 the best. The reasons?The hefty, solidfeel, the construction, the speed of the zoom, and the viewfinder -- I was impressed by how large and clear it was. The only thing holding me back is the price.

BUT -- as a promotion by Nikon, this store was given a Nikon D50 and a kit lens and told to go take pictures. They blew up those pictures by 24" (about 0.6 meters?) on the largest side and I was amazed! The colors and the clarity were greater than I could have imagined for a 6 Mpixel entry-level camera.

I will still probably go with the Canon, but like a confused teenager, I am now distracted by my girlfriend's pretty cousin. I might have a wedding to photograph in May so I had better make up my mind soon!

To see my sample page (taken mostly with an old A-1), please check out this link:

(The guy with the guitar is Gordon Lightfoot.)
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:55 AM   #10

Hi jbigfoot,

Well, interesting to see you took the plunge and went to take a few out for a quick date! I'm sure the Nikon D80 is a nice camera to hold and use... but a bit pricier than the current entry level DSLRs.

I have a friend who has a Nikon D50... that is a very capable camera too, and yes, most times people do NOT need 10 or 12 megapixels even to print huge size posters / pictures / photos. 6 or 8 megapixels is enough for 99% of folk. The extra megapixels are handy for cropping, though I have to admit. But I'd always prefer higher quality at high ISO's than an increase in megapixel count!#

I liked some of you photos on your sample site. cool.

Let us know how you go... We won't shoot you if you buy Nikon... or stick with Canon. Personally I'm more interested to see more of you photos whatever the "brand"! Cheers.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote