Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:09 PM   #1

I have a 4 year old Canon 10D. My battery is having problems holding a full charge. I would like to know if I am stuck in buying a $70.00 replacement OEM battery from Canon or if there are good after market replacements? If so, what brand should I be looking at and can they be purchased On-Line?

Thanks in advance for any help.

lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:16 PM   #2

There are several vendors.

A very popular vendor is Sterlingtek. I think the replacements are around $15 a piece there.

I've used 2 of their batteries for about 15 months now - they outperform the OEM battery in longevity. But, I get the impression from multiple threads there is less quality control so you're more likely to have a problem with the battery. That being said, they have a 1 year warranty I believe.

My sterlingtek's have only one problem IMO - they drain much faster in weather below 40 degrees than my OEM battery - maybe twice as fast. In participating in variouus thread discussions on the subject my experience appears to be the exception - haven't run into anyone else who has the same issue (but other people have had other issues - still many, many, many more users satisfied than dissatisfied).

Bottom line, I still recommend them - you can get 3 or more of their batteries for the cost of a single OEM battery.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:00 PM   #3

there are few no name batteries too. They cost around 7 bucks for 2. And they last longer than the OEM ones. I am using one for my 30D and it is giving great results.

I ordered in ebay through someone here. Its good.

I am sure for u can find these batteries for canon 10D.

The battery has lasted for around 400 shots so far and shows full even now. Strange but true.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:23 PM   #4

i have a replacement BP-511 battery that i purchased on ebay for my 30D. it cost me about $15, but it gives me more shots than my OEM battery - i routinely get over 1000 frames with either of them, but the replacement lasts a little bit longer.i don't notice any difference in performance over temperature, andit recharges just as quickly as the Canonbattery. don't feel obligated to pay $70 for the brand name battery...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:12 PM   #5

Promaster makes a very good quality replacement 1450mAh compaired to canons 1390. I've had one for about 2 years now and still going strong.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:29 PM   #6

i have an extra battery. usually i have one battery in the camera and one in the charger. the one in the cahrger can be there fro 4 to 10 days straight.

is thta in any way harmful to the battery? should i take it out after it is done charging fully?

photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:59 PM   #7

I haven't had any problems with third party batteries...used 'em on 20D, 30D, and now 5D. Bought all my BP-511 1800mah batteries from ebay from this seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-1800mAh-BP-51...QQcmdZViewItem

Disclosure: I'm in no way affiliated with the above seller. I will not be held responsible for any problems you may experience...ie your mileage may vary. :blah:
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:15 PM   #8

Now i remember it was alpine man who gave me the link:blah:

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote