Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:33 AM   #1

I have sigma 17-70 lens right now and have plans to purchase a telephoto zoom lens after few months or may be more than a year. So which tripod stand would be sturdy enough?
roopang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2

I don't know one tripod from another, but B and H just recommended:

Slik Pro 330DX

kc571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:24 AM   #3

Without knowing your camera+Lens weight, where and how you will be using it (mountain climbing? longhikes in the forest? straight out of the car? only in the home? — you get the idea), that question is like asking "what car should I get" with no other info provided.

Tripods run from the cheap to the VERY expensive, from the light duty to the HEAVY duty, and from light weight to HEAVY weight. A strong, light tripod with a good head (and that's another issue) might set you back US$400 or way more. But a heavier, sturdy one you do not mind lugging short distances may fill the need and cost well under US$100 ... several light duty ones are available for as little as US$20 or so.

Choosing the right tripod is almost, but not quite, as great achore as choosingthe rightcamera!

So, for a good answer decide on just what for and how you will use it. That will help with the carry-weight issue (I hate carrying a large, strong, and11 pound tripod on my long hikes!). Decide on what weight limits you will need (will it support your lens and camera and also allow for hanging a bag from it for stability if you need it?). Decide if you want a quality ball head or some other head. Etc. And then decide on how much you are willing to spend.

That will enable us to help you find what you need by providing some sound suggestions!

Hope this info helps a bit ...
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote