Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:54 PM   #1

I tried using my old Sigma 75-300mm lens with my new digital XT, but it doesn't work. I get the err99 code. I called up Sigma and they said my lens was so old that they can't even fix the problem. Instead, what they did offer was to upgrade the lens to a newer one for a discounted price of about $115. I have to send the old lens back to them with the money for the new one.

Anybody else have this problem? Is it worth upgrading this way or paying extra to buy a Canon lens, which is less likely to face compatibility issues with newer bodies in the future?
bakaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:17 AM   #2

The only 'problem' here is that canon change the specs of their lens mounts in order to lock out third party lens makers like sigma. I don't see why you should be rewarding canon for this, especially when sigma's cheap zooms are heaps better than canon's and cost a lot less to boot even without the offer you have recieved. Sigma's offer sounds incredibly reasonable to me.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:06 AM   #3

Some Sigma lenses they could re-chip to make them compatible with newer cameras. They were even doing this for free for awhile. Canon's change wasn't really just to lock out third party lenses, after all their FD lenses won't work on their newer cameras either. It's more just the case of progress. Canon wouldn't spend that much trying to lock out third party lens makers when theyknow they are all very good at reverse engineering and just a matter of a few months before the lens makers have new lenses ready for thenew mounts.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote