Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:59 PM   #1

i traded my rebelxt for the xti. got a good deal.good idea? quality is a little better but the bigger menu screen is great.auto focus is quicker and i quess the dust cleaner is a good thing.glad i did it while i could still get good value for the xt. the xt is a very good camera ,quess christmas got to me and i had to treat myself.anybody else done the same thing?
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:42 PM   #2

What deal did you get? Where from? I'm interested in making the same swap.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:26 PM   #3

I just ordered the XTi from Costco.ca for $999 CAD free shipping. Great return policy if I think its too small.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:20 PM   #4

i got my xti from murphys cameras . it was $724 body only. they gave me $365 for my xt so i was happy and after playing with the xti i am really glad i did it.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:39 PM   #5

Wow...$365 for the XT? I woulda sold it in ebay or fredmiranda for more money. Oh well, what's done is done, and what counts is you like your upgrade.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:34 AM   #6

Sold my XT and lenses last year (needed the money for a family emergency). The only lense I kept was my little 50 1.8. Was sick without my good 'ol xt. Decided to use my refund to start back into photography again and just recently received my new xti ($679) and love it. I only have the 50 1.8 right now but it still sure is fun doing this again and being forced to only use a fixed 50mm sure makes for some interesting new things to try.

So far, I havn't noticed much of a difference between the xti and xt. Havn't had a chance to have anything printed yet but as far as handling, speed, exposuregoes, not a big difference. I'm just glad to be back

jllyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:58 PM   #7

I'm also a new XTI user, I'm happy with the camera, very easy and simple to use. the LCD is clear and bright enough at the middle of brightness setting. I use a laminated film bought from WalMart $3 for ten sheets, one is large enough to cover the screen. At the bottom of the camera I use some stick on rubber to prevent scratch. One of the good things about the XTI is when you set the camera on Manual mode you dial the aperture by using the index finger, the thumb presses the +/- on the back, better thanin some DSLR it's reverse.

The good points of the XTI is fairly clean hi ISO, buffer is large enough for continuous shots. The custom Picture Style is very handy. I set Portrait forContrast -1 Saturation -1. I recommend the battery grip, the aftermarket one is much cheaper than the Canon.

The XTI AF isresponsive in dimly lit room. I don't have much time to give the camera a full test drive yet, just a some shots here and there in the backyard, some indoor with bounce flash, 10MP is good for cropping, I'm happy with the results. Most of all the self cleaning sensor isan exceptionalfeaturefor a camera atthis price range.

I'm surprised to see Canon DSLR are still made in Japan. If you work inmicroelectronic industry, turn the camera upside down, you can tell the tiny screws are of high quality hardware.

So far I found the cheapest NB-2LH battery for this camera is $15, (900Ah).

ThePicture Style isone of the most useful features especially for photographers who came from film cameras. You can set similar characteristic of Kodak/Fuji films...from the soft color Kodak Portra/Fuji NPS forportraits/weddingstohighly saturated award winningFuji slide Velvia. You get accessed to this Picture Style ina second, just hit the "set"on the control button, and picka different film to suit your taste. There is no top LCD on the XTI,less circuitry to worry about, it looks more like a film camera and the shutter sounds like one too. This is a bad toy.:-)

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote