Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:48 PM   #1

I have an Olympus Evolt 300, but am considering making a jump to the Canon Rebel XTi.I shoot on the Evolt using the SHQ setting, which creates a jpeg file with 1/2.7 compression rate and 3264 x 2448 pixels. File sizes vary, but on average are about 5 mb.

I notice that the XTI's Large/Fine setting boasts 3,888 x 2,592 pixel images with file sizes of approximately3.8MB. I have been unable to find any specifications about the actual compression rate on the XTi.

Since the XTi shoots larger images and creates smaller sized files than the Evolt, does it follow that the Evolt's SHQ setting compression rate is less than the highest quality XTi setting? In other words, if I shoot on the highest quality jpeg setting on the XTi, will my jpeg images get compressed at a higher rate than they would on my Evolt?

strigbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:00 PM   #2

don't worry about the compression rates/file size - Canon has great compression algorytms. Better then Nikon Image quality is great. nothing to worry about.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote