Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2003, 4:14 PM   #1
Default New smaller Canon dSLR?

From the dpReview thread (anyone speak Japanese):
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:44 PM   #2

Although we are kind of (unofficially) expecting something from Canon in the way of an even more inexpensive dSLR than the 10D, those pictures look a little more than fake to me. The picture of the back of the 300D is lacking a typical Canon digicam 4-way controller. I'd be willing to bet that it's a doctored picture of the EOS Rebel Ti 35mm film camera. But who knows ?

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 2:24 AM   #3

I don't speak japanese either, but luckily for you it's in chinese. Unluckily for you though, although my chinese sucks, the article says that it's a joke, ie its all a hoax. At least that's what I think they said right at the end of the article... before that, they had me fooled that they had inside info on the specs and I actually translated most of it... anyway, since I've already tried the translation, here are the "specs" they mentioned (keep in mind it's FICTION!)

The camera will basically be a digital version of the 300V and have the following features:
1) 8.73megapixels (8.22megapixels effective), using the D60's 15.1mm by 22.7mm CMOS sensor, ie it will still have a 1.6x crop factor
2) better lowlight focusing ability than the 300V
3) 7 point autofocus
4) capability of shooting in RAW
5) up to 30sec long exposure & bulb mode
6) E-TTL capability
7) 11 shooting modes? (not sure if I translated this one right... it has 11 types of something...)
8) 3 kinds of metering (centre, evaluative and partial)
9) max shutter speed of 1/2000
10) usb 2.0 interface for uploading of photos
11) type I and II compact flash
12) uses BP 511 batteries
13) max of 3 frames per second, and continuous shooting of up to 8 consecutive shots

It also says that production began in May 2003, and it will be on the streets by August 03 with a street price of about USD $1500 and come together with a 28-90 1:4.5-5.6 lens.

Once again, the specs are all fantasy and were made up by the authors of the article.
platorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:40 PM   #4

I was just in Costco several hours ago. They had this camera on display. Of course, it's a FILM camera. The photos in the article have been altered to change the model number, and , if you look real close, you can see where the image of the back of the camera has been altered. On the left side of the back the lever for opening the back for film access has been removed.

surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote