Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2003, 4:34 PM   #1
Default two questions

i am new at digital and have two questions, im sure this has been ask a 100 times but its new to me. is there a problem with the canon 10d concerning focusing issues or is it the person behind the camera. also when do you think canon will come out with a new camera with more mp like maybe a 8 or above mp. thanks for any and all replies.
bobby jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:11 PM   #2

I'll answer them in reverse order.

I'm sure that Canon is working on another camera, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would wait a bit to for Nikon to blink first an release their D2X. The 10D is selling really well, so why not improve their next offering a bit and see what Nikon is going to offer?

Focusing issue. Yes, the issues are real. It can be in the user, the camera or the lens (or any combination there in.) This has been discussed in detail in this section of the forum, so search around. Here is the short description.

The 10D is not as precise at focusing as the more expensive 1D or 1Ds. You get what you pay for. If I recall correctly, it only guaranties that the AF point will be in the DOF. Anywhere in it. So it could be right at the edge and be valid, this means that if you focus on a personís neck, their nose could be out of focus. The same applies the other way. Focus on their face in an angled profile and their back shoulder is out of focus. This is within the design specs of the camera.

Many people are used to consumer grade digital cameras and then jump up to the 10D because of price. But they aren't ready for the much smaller DOF the 10D has. This makes them think more should be in focus that really is.

Human error:
They set focus lock on something and then reframe. But they donít realize that the smaller DOF means that their subject is now out of the DOF.

Iíve done this one. The user is standing up and focusing on an object like a bird or dog. Then they lean forward to improve the framing or Ďcause they are excited. Even 4 inches of leaning forward can push the DOF backward by 4 inchesÖ and put your subject out of focus. Really easy to do, and you wonít even notice youíre doing it.

There are tests you can do to see if itís focusing correctly. Itís really, really, amazingly easy to do the test wrong. Itís also really easy to find badly designed tests (like the ďrulerĒ test Iíve mentioned on this forum.) There is a link Iíve posted on this forum to a ďcanon approvedĒ test. It isnít really canon approved, but a high level tech at canon said on another forum that the test is a good one (his experienced opinion, not as a canon representative)

The camera might be calibrated correctly but the lens isnít. This causes it to work correctly some times and not at others. And the f-stop and distance seem to matter. Just to make it even harder to figure out!

But the reality is that canon is selling 1,000s of these cameras a month. Iíve heard even close to 10,000. Not many of them have the problem, but some do. So when faced with the decision to buy the camera, I paid more and got it from a local place which I knew would let me return it with no hassles even beyond their stated policy. And Iím glad I got one because itís worked great. Only problem has been the battery charger died.

I guess that wasnít very short after all. But there is a lot more about it in other topics here. So please, please search. We do this for fun... repeating ourselves isn't fun.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 8:52 AM   #3

You expressed an interest in the 1Ds to me. It isn't fair to compare the two cameras (you weren't) but I will. One is an entry level DSLR for people like me, the 1Ds is the top of the line, "cost is a secondary concern", best DSLR currently being made.

To me, there is only 2 downsides to the 1Ds.

It's $8,000. If you have the money to spare, then this isn't an issue. Personally, I balk at buying a camera which costs as much as a nice used card (like the one I drive!) Don't believe the ebay prices of $3,000. They are scams. If they were real, they would be selling them for 7-8K. If you can get that new, why would you sell it for less than 1/2 used?

Love it or hate it, it is a full frame sensor. I shoot primarily long distance shots (birds and other wildlife) where I can use as much reach as I can get. The 10D makes all lenses look 1.6 times longer (the 1D has a 1.3x crop factor.) I love that I put a 400mm on the camera and get the equivalent of a 640mm lens. If you shoot more wide angle stuff (buildings, landscape, interiors) then having a full frame sensor is actually a good thing, and what the 10d does is actually bad.

You haven't talked about what type of photography you do, so I can't really say which might be better for you. Other concerns are things like:
) The 10D is smaller and lighter. Some love this, others hate it.
) The 1Ds has more weather sealing. It's just a more rugged, professional camera. The 10D is rated for fewer shutter clicks, less weather sealing, can't take abuse as well (I bet.) Not to say the 10D is bad, it just isn't as hardened than the 1Ds.
) The 1Ds is a more complex camera to use. More features & modes. What comes out of the camera requires post processing in ways a prosumer or consumer camera doesn't.
) the 1Ds has a better AF system. Works as higher fstops and (probably) with less light. I don't know if it works faster.

My dad has done vacation-type photography for years. He also paintes and draws. So he cares about quality pictures as art, but also as pictures for memories. He could buy the 1Ds if he wanted to. I wouldn't recommend it to him. The 10D would do all he wanted and he could use the 6K he saved on some very nice vacations where he could use the camera.

Don't pass on the 10D just because of the focusing issues. But do move up to a better camera if you find by compairing then that you really do want/need what the better camera does... better.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:56 PM   #4

I have a local pro shooter friend (you've seen his studio shots on my samples pages for the dSLR cameras) and he uses two 10D's in his business on a daily basis. He had some trouble with the very first camera he got, it was replaced and he has since bought a 2nd 10D body. I can assure you that if you know what you are doing as a photographer then the 10D will work as advertised. The 10D and the Nikon D100 are amazing cameras for the price.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote