Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:55 PM   #1

I was wondering if anyone ordered a Mark III camera from a brick and mortar Wolf camera. Not from the internet. I paid them cash about a month ago. My salesman told me I was number 55. That was low . It was onlty for walk in orders not internet orders. When I called the salesman wasn't in so his boss looked up the order and said no way was I number 55 and the orders included all orders walk in and internet.

What it comes down to is they have my $4800 and they don't know when I will get the gamera.

Has anyone had an experience like this with Wolf?

Thanks

Tony
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:44 PM   #2
Administrator

I try not to deal with them unless nobody else has what I need. Without exception, every time I've used my local Ritz here for anything important, I've regretted it.

Perhaps that's just my local store.

Anyway, why not just ask for your money back and get on the e-mail notification list at B&H?

B&H already had some in stock recently (but, they sold out in about 30 minutes from reports I've seen). You'll see a button to get notified when they're back in stock (but, be fast when they get them back in). lol

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III listing at B&H

Sure, you're "rolling the dice" trying to figure out the vendor that's more likely to get them first. But, if the manager disputes what you've been told, and they're holding your money hostage, I'd just get my money back and wait for another vendor to get some cameras in (but, I wouldn't have agreed to give them that much money to begin with for a camera they didn't have in stock).

A vendor is only as good as it's people (and the sales people at B&H do not work on commission, so they're not as likely to "stretch" the truth as the sales staff in some other stores can sometimes do).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 6:36 PM   #3

Thanks. Jim. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. If they can't give me any infprmation I'll go in and get my money back. The only problem with Wolf is it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get the refund. They owed me over $600.00 from a lens exchange and I called yesterday and they said they were just working on it.

So it looks like I have to wait a month before I have the money to try and get another one.....What a mess.

Thanks,

Tony
Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:17 PM   #4

Unfortunately the notification list on B&H has been closed for the last month. They had too many people sign up for it.

They received 125 mark IIIs last Friday and yes sold all in 30 minutes. They never notified a single person on the 'notify' list. Their reps said it is because they didn't have near enough to meet demand. It's been discussed in great horrid detail on other forums. But the jist is - no one on that list is getting a notification until they get larger stocks. The only way to get a camera from B&H is to either wait or call every day, several times a day and hope you call within minutes after they get a shipment.

Several other reputable strores - Adorama, Calumet, J&R are all taking pre-orders.

But, production has slowed - there are quite a number of errors being reported between the camera and lenses. Only a small handful of cameras have been reported as shipped to consumer this week on various forums. And, Canon is keeping all the stores in the dark. No store knows when their shipments are coming or how many they'll get. My advice? Get on a pre-order list - none of the above require a deposit - they only charge you when it ships. Even so, you may be looking at 1-3 months to get one - longer if the communication problems with lenses is more of a problem.

I'm hoping to get mine by August so I can get familiar with it before football season starts.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5

Did they tell you roughly what number you really are, and how long they think it might take? If it really takes that long for the refund, it might be worth just sticking with them, otherwise you get your money in a month, sign up, and then wait again who knows how long, you may have been better to stick with them (even though it's not very professional of the sales guy to lie to you...)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:27 AM   #6

Michi,

I have been lied to by everyone I talked to at Wolf/Ritz's main office. They owed me a $700.00 refund and I was told every time I called that it was mailed on the 5th of June. Well it doesn't take 10 days to get a first class letter from Maryland to a suburb of Chicago. On their receipt it says allow 10 days if yo pay in cash. I've known people who have waited up to seven weeks.

I wouldn't mind waiting but if I ask for a refund on the camera and it takes five or six weeks that's a lot of time and probably a lot of missed chances of getting my MKIII. Luckily I have an attorney in the family and he told me what to do. If I want a refund I go to the store with the receipt. I have to tell the salesman that I want the money within ten days. If I don't get ithe will contact them on the 11th day.

Like I said...I wouldn't normally be so impatient but I am fighting with my doctors to stay out of the hospital until I get a chance to use the camera. I have a brain tumor and they want to run tests and see if it's grown. The brain tumor caused my kidneys to fail and I am on kidney dialysis. Photography was my only diversion and all I want to do is have a few weeks to use this fantastic camers.

Tony

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:53 PM   #7

Well, that does sound pretty bad. In that case, definitely get your money back in that 10 day period, don't ever go back again and hopefully you will find the camera fairly quick. Good luck to you!
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:54 PM   #8

FYI - I "pre-ordered" the Mark III online from Ritz about 7 weeks ago. They sent me weekly update emails that they had not forgotten me. Received the camera today. Amazon had the camera available during the time I waited, but had it marked up to ~ $6,200 vs. the $4,499 I paid and have seen is the general street price. I am a dedicated B&H customer. They still show back-ordered and I still have not received the "in stock" email notification I registered for. As far as the brick & mortar store, my market ( Austin, TX ) is too small to offer a very large Ritzstore.

Anyway, I can't wait to get home tonight and good luck getting yours.
RHDJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:40 PM   #9

I never "pre-order" anything until I am sure there are no issues with the final product.
I'd rather wait it out and let others work out all the bugs for me :-)

Early adopters of the 1d-MKiii have been reporting auto focus issues with the body in some situations

Here is one such link: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...40-9006#july20

Google search turns up more.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:52 PM   #10

Thanks, Peter.

I'm a chronic early adopter. Hopefully it won't burn in me in this case. Anyway, thanks for the link.
RHDJR is offline   Reply With Quote