Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2003, 4:33 AM   #1
Default Shooting at night with the Canon EOS 10D

I am new to digital SLR and I was wondering if you can all give me some advice on what settings to use at night. I will be taking photos of fire works and other night scenes. Can you tell me what shutter speed and so on would be best. Let me know what you think.
photoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:11 AM   #2

You have to put the camera on manual (be sure to use a tripod). The meter -2.-1.v.+1.+2 will be you indicator:

1. Use the front dial to decrease (or increase) the shutter speed and the rear dial to control the aperture: the moving mark under the -2.-1.v.+1.+2 meter will tell you how under/over exposure you are. When you just flip the camera over to manual in the dark, this mark should be all the way toward the left, ie totally underexposed...

2. When the moving mark is under the v, you are spot on, whereas under - indicated underexposure and under + overexposure, and by how much in EV.

3. There no 'magic' one setting that will work for everyone since it depends on the lighting of the scene and the speed of the lens used! Plus some fireworks have big plumes other smaller ones... and what highlights you want to emphasize on a night scene.

4. This is a digital camera so don't worry about bracketing also, go ahead and experiment... there's no cost of wasted film since you can review the shots on the rear LCD immediately afterward and throw away bad ones!

BTW I don't know if your Fuji can do it, but on the Minolta D7's, there's a 'What You See Is What You Get' (WYSIWYG) mode on manual that I can use as a meter in low-light (it's real time histogram also helps for theses situations)... I just watched what's looked best in the camera's electronic viewfinder by playing with the shutter/aperture, and then transpose the readings from the D7 over to the 10D. It sure beats my Gossen (which costed the same as the D7!)... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote