Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1

Just need advice on how good this lens is?

"Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Marco"

I'm using a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi / 400D. Normally shooting preschool children / a bit of portraits / sometimes landscapes / other normal kind of stuff.

If anybody has got this lens I hope you can share your experiences with me.

Also anyone has a better suggestion please feel free to suggest as I am a newbie to dSLR Photography and only have my kit lens (Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6) and also as usual for newbies (a very LOW budget).. hahah...

Thanks for reading.
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2007, 9:41 PM   #2

it is a very good lens and you will be happy with it. i had it and i sold it to get the 17-55 which is big bucks. if you don't want to go that route get the sigma. a friend of mine bought my 17-70 and he thanks me everytime he sees me. you will love the range and the picture quality is very good. good luck and good shooting.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:47 AM   #3

I've had that lens fora little over half a year and am very happy with it.I use itwith a 30D and itis a very sharp and fastlens for the price. I have gotten the best results in the f8-14 range with it. The AF is quiet and fast.The lens also does a pretty good job at macro.

I'm sure if you go this route you will be more than pleased

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:37 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I've had this lens twice, once when using a Konica Minolta (now Sony) 5D and when I switched to a Canon 30D it was the first lens I got. It is a great compromise lens at a good price, wider than normal aperture, good range of focal length, resolution, AF speed, macro (although it is not stated you can almost focus onto the front filter!!) hmmmm have I missed anything?

I'm not saying it's perfect as for that I would want continuous f2.8 (not going to happen), HSM (hyper sonic motor) and OS (optical stabilisation) however I would strongly recommend getting this lens. The only reason a almost never use mine is I have a Canon 5D in my kit as well as the 30D so the 30D usually has a longer lens on for sports or additional creative options in weddings/portraits etc (Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 or Sigma 120-300mm f2.8) but if I need to use the 30D as the main shooting camera for a wedding it would be the 17-70 that would come out to play.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:50 AM   #5

thanks mark1616 for your reply..

i finally decided to order one of this lenses ( and hopefully i'll get a good copy of it)

Hope to receive it soon as may need it for up coming amature shoot i'm doing. who knows maybe i'll get somewhere with it.

thanks to all again...

if anyone else has anything to add please feel very free to do so... the more the merrier..
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote