Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Hi guys, I'm from the pentax forum, but I'm considering a change of system, having just sold my k100d.

So while I was almost to get a k10d for around 700$, i saw that with more or less the same price I can get a 30d used, or at around 500$ a 20d.

Apart from the screen, is there a big difference between 20d and 30d? those 200$ saving would let me buy the tamron 17-50 2.8 or the 28-75 2.8, and maybe even the 50mm 1.8.

Is worth to spend a little more on the body and delay the purchase of the good lens?

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:22 PM   #2

The other major differences are spot metering in 30d (not an option in the 20d) and incremental ISO in 30d (20d just has full stops).

Beyond that - you have to determine if the used camera is coming from a reliable source. I've never been a big fan of buying a used piece of electronic gear. I'd lean more towards a refurb model - at least they tend to come with a warranty and you know it's been inspected by the manufacturer.

Also with a used camera I'd be worried about how used it is. That depends on the shooter. I put about 30,000 clicks on my camera every year but some people may only put 5,000. So, in your position I'd be more concerned about the condition of the cameras.

Assuming both cameras were in the same state I'd probably be inclined to gowith the 20d and put the money towards the lens if money was that tight.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote