Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:47 PM   #1

i bought a 40d online the other day and it was the kit that came with the 28-135 (3.5-5.6) lens. the company accidently shipped me the wrong kit and they sent me the 17-85 (4.0-5.6) kit. the price diffrence is $200.00. so if i kept this kit i would have to pay an extra $200.00.

my question is, is the 17-85 lens a better quality lens then the 28-135? i plan on trying to get more into some portrait photography and some scenic photos. i am not a pro.

please advise, i have to contact them if i decided to keep this kit. thanks in advanced.
diastech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steves!

It is a difficult one as each of us will like different focal lengths for general work, but for me I would prefer the option they have shipped you as you have a wider angle and at 85mm on the long end that is going to be great for portraits (well somewhere in between depending on the look you want). For me 28mm is too long for the wide angle, I find my 24-105mm is too long as well so have a 17-70mm as my walk around lens on the 30D. However JohnG (who might chip in on this one) does use the 28-135which I believe he used on the 20D and found that to be good for a lot of things so it is horses for courses.

OK so that does not help you but if you are able to have a play with it just check out what you can shot at the wide angle and then zoom to approx 28mm and think could you use that as your wide limit.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:03 PM   #3

If your going to spend $400 for a lens your better of with the Tamron 17-50 2.8, much better lens.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:53 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Well it's a different lens.

A bit sharper overall.

Less range.

No IS.

Wider aperture.

Is that better? For some people sure, but for others no. Depends on what you want doesn't it?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote