Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:37 PM   #1

Well in about a week I'll get my first dSLR camera in the mail :-) It's a Rebel XTi with the 18-55mm. I've been looking reading some of the forums and looking at some pictures that members have posted, and the main thing I have gotten is to practice, practice and more practice while taking lots of notes.

Hope to post some pictures in the near future
jonpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's and congratulations on your purchase.

There are lots of suggestions for the best way to master (well most of us will never do that), or at least learn a lot and you have nailed my top 3 faves (practise x3).

Have a good play, try different settings to see what that does to your shot, shoot at crazy angles that you wouldn't normally see (caution, people might think you've gone mad crawling around the floor for example) and have fun!!!

You have found a good place to get share your work and learn more about photography in general, specific areas (sports, landscape, portrait etc) the cameras functions, etc etc so get shooting and get posting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Congrats on your new purchase!

The three Ps are important (practice, practice, practice) but let me add something (Mark, I'll be brief :blah:

Practice with a purpose. Taking 1000 pictures is not practice. Whether it's via books or on-line tutorials or classroom, do research on the principles of photography (proper exposure and how aperture, shutter speed and ISO work together, depth of field, composition etc) - learn how adjusting aperture, ISO, shutter speed affects certain shots - and learn about exposure compensation - cameras are wonderful computers but they sometimes get it wrong so thru your practice learn the conditions under which you want to override what the camera thinks you should do. Ask lots of questions. And, when you find particular areas of photography you really like, seek out like-minded people on this forum or others so they can provide feedback and tips relevant to that type of photography.

Again, welcome and congratulations again!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:55 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replys and support!

I have been reading online about the Apeture settings, depth of field, shutter speed. So I think I understand the basic idea behind them, now I just have to make my cheat sheet and practice different settings while I take notes.
jonpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:50 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Unlike film the great thing about digital is that all those settings are written into the EXIF data on your pictures. So you can tell afterwards without having to make notes at the time.

Which is why a DSLR is such a great learning tool.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote