Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2003, 4:21 PM   #1
Default I think I finally decided...time for a new camera!

I've been waiting for the next DSLR from Canon to come out, and even though there are some things that are 'crippled' versus the 10D, I think the price of the Digital Rebel/300D is going to be the deciding factor. Of course I could wait for the next big thing but that is a neverending cycle of waiting, especially with digital.

After waffling a bunch of times whether to wait for the real upgrade to the 10D or get the 'cheap' Digital Rebel, I finally decided to go for it. So what if it's not exactly what I wanted, the price is right and it will probably be widely available soon so I can start getting better pictures compared to the 'good' ones I get with the G2/G3.

I researched on lenses and from the MTF charts it looks like the new 18-55 lens that will come with the Digital Rebel will be pretty good. The MTF chart for the new 55-200 didn't look so good, so I tried to find something quality that would last until my next camera. I found that the 70-200L is reasonably priced at about $600, so what I save from getting the Digital Rebel instead of the 10D could go to a nice lens.

Going to wait for the reviews to confirm my observations, but I think I'm ready for a new camera! Whew.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:12 PM   #2

Althought I'll be on vacation (so I won't be able to answer further) but you should post some discription of what type of photography you do... how you will use the camera.

That will help us out a lot in what types of lense will be good choices.

It would also be helpful if you talked about what the G2/G3 does which you want to be better in your next camera.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:56 PM   #3

Check my Pbase gallery for examples of what I like to shoot. If I had more zoom I'd do some wildlife, but not a lot, so the 70-200L looked like it would be the best deal. Might get a 1.4TC later if I want more reach.

I want better quality and more versatility (useful ISO 1600, real lenses for wide angle and zoom).

I wonder if I'll miss not having mirror lock up?
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote